FTP service does not start

AlexWilMac

My OBH does not start the FTP service neither automatically at boot nor manually. Sometimes, it starts for a few seconds and then stops again.
What can I do?

AlexWilMac

As I said elsewhere, I solved this problem in an empirical way, flashing only kernel files. To be precise, I take from the last image only this two OBH files

reboot.update
kernel_auto.bin

obviously creating the usual structure in the flashdrive
vuplus/box_name (in my case Solo4K)
and within this folder I put the two files above.

But the question is: why after some online updates FTP service does not start automatically any longer?
If you go in its panel you see it is stopped and there is no way to start it.
Even if you enable Autostart it won't do.

This has happened to me only with OBH and never with BH.
Last time it happened was today, as always after an update.
Maybe coders can dig into this issue.

paperino61

Vu+ User
My OBH does not start the FTP service neither automatically at boot nor manually. Sometimes, it starts for a few seconds and then stops again.
What can I do?
Hi... sometimes same problem for me, but only when I try to restore an image from backup. If I install from fresh image all works fine.
In the morning I had this problem, trying to restore image from backup (sure that in this image ftp was working well) and.... sbang!!!!!!!!! No way to use FTP: I had to reinstall a fresh image and reconfigure etc etc.
and now is ok
g.

Ev0

Admin
As I said elsewhere, I solved this problem in an empirical way, flashing only kernel files. To be precise, I take from the last image only this two OBH files

reboot.update
kernel_auto.bin

obviously creating the usual structure in the flashdrive
vuplus/box_name (in my case Solo4K)
and within this folder I put the two files above.

But the question is: why after some online updates FTP service does not start automatically any longer?
If you go in its panel you see it is stopped and there is no way to start it.
Even if you enable Autostart it won't do.

This has happened to me only with OBH and never with BH.
Last time it happened was today, as always after an update.
Maybe coders can dig into this issue.
This only seems to happen (occasionally) when OMB is being used.

I think OMB (openmultiboot) mixes the kernels up somehow (maybe it has some info stuck in memory and then when you reboot it swaps the kernel by mistake), or maybe if you change image too quickly without doing a reboot first.

I have also experienced it, but only when I have been using OMB and swapping between images, but never just doing online updates.

AlexWilMac

How exactly do you mean OMB causes this problem?
In my case I have OBH (1.0.009) in flash and BH in OMB but the strange is that I hadn't been using BH for some weeks. I've been using OBH 1.0.001 and following updates (without switching to BH) until today morning when, after the last update, the problem occurred. I had performed each other online update available before today's one.

AlexWilMac

How exactly do you mean OMB causes this problem?
In my case I have OBH (1.0.009) in flash and BH in OMB but the strange is that I hadn't been using BH for some weeks. I've been using OBH 1.0.001 and following updates (without switching to BH) until today morning when, after the last update, the problem occurred. I had performed each other online update available before today's one.

P.S. I have a theory and I'm testing it. Meanwhile, if someone else would like to test it too, it'll make the test itself faster.
The theory is that
-performing the online update through the terminal command (opkg update && opkg upgrade) the problem (or the "mess", as Ev0 says!) does not occur;
-performing the online update through the GUI command, it might occur at times.

At the moment I've applied just a couple of updates through terminal but 2-3 times is not statically significant.
If anyone decides to test the second, I'll go on with first... But, to be comparable, they should have the same configuration of images I do.
As I wrote, I have OBH installed in flash (and BH in OMB): that's why I find strange a problem that affects (in case) always and only OBH and not BH.
If it was the other way around, it'd be more understandable.

nunigaia

P.S. I have a theory and I'm testing it. Meanwhile, if someone else would like to test it too, it'll make the test itself faster.
The theory is that
-performing the online update through the terminal command (opkg update && opkg upgrade) the problem (or the "mess", as Ev0 says!) does not occur;
-performing the online update through the GUI command, it might occur at times.

At the moment I've applied just a couple of updates through terminal but 2-3 times is not statically significant.
If anyone decides to test the second, I'll go on with first... But, to be comparable, they should have the same configuration of images I do.
As I wrote, I have OBH installed in flash (and BH in OMB): that's why I find strange a problem that affects (in case) always and only OBH and not BH.
If it was the other way around, it'd be more understandable.

Reflash only the the flash image by using the " following method " and your problem will be gone:

Remove from the usb stick for flashing ... all the files with exception of:

• kernel_auto.bin or kernel_cfe_auto.bin
  • reboot
After restarting your STB ... you should be able to connect to your STB by FTP.

best regards
nunigaia

AlexWilMac

Reflash only the the flash image by using the " following method " and your problem will be gone:

Remove from the usb stick for flashing ... all the files with exception of:

• kernel_auto.bin or kernel_cfe_auto.bin
  • reboot
After restarting your STB ... you should be able to connect to your STB by FTP.

best regards
nunigaia

Yes, it's what I wrote in my post #2 of the present thread :) and this was a great relief.
Only, it'd be interesting to find out what causes this problem.