How to configure tuners?

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
My Duo2 has 3 tuners and all of them have set as simple. Each is pointed to one satellite. All of them work prefectly.

However, sometimes, I wish to watch and recorde from different TP but in same satelite. Certainly, my current configuration is impossible. Is there any method or potential plugin or configuration which can use the spare tuner during the above situation?

I have no any hadware knowledge. If the LNB can transfer multifrequencies to tuner, than the receiver alocate spare tuner to do the decoding, we would be in a very powerful and flexible position. It may be a very challenge task for hardware and software engineers.

newgolfer

Vu+ User+++
For each satellite should have an LNB with dual outputs : a total of 6 independent line (6 wires - 2 for each plate). Or replace all the LNB with a SRC model.
You are however limited by the hardware of your decoder that accepts max 2 twin tuners for a total of 4 inputs.

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
Thanks @newgolfer for your reply. I undestand the 6 wires, but I do not understand the '2 for each plate' . What it means? The reason which I post the enquiry is to try to find a solution to use the spare tuner when it is free. As an user, I think, logically, if the lnb can send multifrequency to the tuner, there should have a way to use a spare tuner. Currently I am certaiinly able to use a twin output LNB, sends two set friquencies to two tuners by two wires . MY idea is using one wire and send two set friquencies into one tuner's input. Then internally use the spare tuner. It means all tuners share friquencies. Just wishes!

Johev

Vu+ Newbie
Hi mysat-bs, let me see if I can help you with your issue.

If I understand it correctly you said:
  • that you have 3 Tuners on your VU+ DUO2
  • each individual tuner points to a different satellite (this means that you have your dishes point to 3 different satellites)
Now as newgolfer said, you will need to use at least Dual LNB's (in your case I would actually buy Quad LNB's as you have 3 tuners) in order to achieve this. You will also need at least 2 satellite diseqc switch (in your case I would buy 3 if you go for the Quad LNB setup), each one with at least 3 inputs and 1 output. The good thing is that they are relatively cheap :) Something like this should do.

The correct configuration (hardware wise) would be if you have Quad LNB's:
  • Connect one cable from each individual LNB to 1 diseqc (this way 1 diseqc switch has a feed from each different LNB on a different satellites)
  • Connect the feed from the above diseqc switch to the receiver
  • Do this for the other 2 diseqc switches and connect them to the rest of the tuners on your receiver
This will mean that all Tuners are connected to all 3 LNB's on all 3 satellites.

In the configuration you will need to use the advanced option and configure each one of the 3 satellites on all the tuners manually.

This way you will be able to watch up to 3 different transponders on each of your satellites.

Good luck and let me know how did things work for you.

Last edited:

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
Thank @Johev for your reply and suggestion. It is exactly my intention to do. I think I undertood what you said on the connection configure. It was my original plan but I was not sure before you reply. In another word, one cable connects to one Diseqc switch and each diseqc switch connects to 3 Quad LNB. The hardware configuration should have no any problem. The issue is how to configure the tuner itself. Because the 3 tuners use same set of channels, how to set the turner's priority order and how to set the timer by using epg. If I have 3 sets of channel list, it should work possible? I will play the configure when I have some.

Matrix10

Administrator
the tuner A >> DiSEqC A/B/C/D

Tuner B equal to Tuner A
Tuner C equal to Tuner A

Record ,Sat list,Timer and everything else is the same.
When the tuner is fre / available can be used at any of the three satellites.

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
the tuner A >> DiSEqC A/B/C/D

Tuner B equal to Tuner A
Tuner C equal to Tuner A
Thanks @Matrix10 for your information. I do not understand fully. If I scan these channels and satellites by one Tuner (Say Tuner A) and than set Tuner B equal to Tuner A, Tuner C equal to Tuner A. After the setting, does the receiver knows when it uses tuner A, when it uses Tuner B? For my current configuration, I can understand, each channel has included Disqc information, tuner information. When I select the particular channel, the receiver certainly know find the right tuner and send correct disqc command. But for the above configuration, I think I still confused, Please offer a liitle more details if possible regarding how to they sort out them selve among those tuners if I set as above and use one set channel list.

Matrix10

Administrator
Example A tuner is busy
The receiver will use the tuner B
and if the tuner B is busy it will use C Tuner

So it is possible to simultaneously use three tuners
on all three satellites independently of Sat, frequency, transponder or polarization in the same time.
You can record on one the same SAT 3 times
You can record on 3 dif SATs 3 times

You can use all tuners in the same time if you like.

Matrix10

Administrator
Regarding SAT list and scan
If you Scan you scan with only one tuner which is in use
for scan is not at all important which tuner is active.
Receiver knows which tuner is free.
The SAT/settings list is the same for all tuners.

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
Thank @Matrix10 for your kind reply and detailed information. I think I understand now. The BH is realy cleaver, thanks for the BH team's exccelent work. It is rare to watch and record from same satellite for me. But I recently have had some recording issues which are caused by slightly overlaping in the recording time because one program immeditely followed by another program. I wish to recorde both of them (two files, not one recording for 2 programs.) . In such situation, the EPG continuesly reports warning ' the related timer is deleted'. I modified the timer by reducing the first recording' lenghth. It does not resolve the issue. I think the recording timer still remember some EPG information. I checked the timer, it is there (it is not deleted). When this thing happened, I just think I have another two tunners free and why I cannot use them to solve this issue. Now with all of yours' helps, I think I can do what I want, I will never see the 'tuner bussy' message any more. I have already had Quad LNB installed, the only thing is to buy 3 Disqc switches and reconfigure my receiver. It may need a little more time but it is not difficult to do . Thanks again.