How to enable Wake-on-LAN (WOL) in E2?

pcfe

Vu+ Newbie
Since my _Duo 4K SE_ seems to support Wake-onLAN, I'd like to use it.

Normally I'd try enabling wol g the Debian way, but OpenBh 5.0's /etc/network/interfaces tells me to not manually edit.

Now I wonder where I should cleanly enable WoL in E2 before I resort to old style SysVinit rc.local :)

pcfe

Last edited:

pcfe

Vu+ Newbie
… before I resort to old style SysVinit rc.local :)

In case anyone else plays with WoL, I found out 2 things since my previous message in this thread but WoL is not (yet) functional;

1. It's not quite as straightforward as I expected. While I got wol g set just fine, when the shutdown script /etc/rc6.d/K80networking runs ifdown -a, then the link of the interface goes down, on x86_64 Linux boxes when I set an interface to wake on Magic Packet, then the link light stays on.

2. Switching from Wake-on: d (disabled) to g (Magic Packet) was done by adjusting /etc/rc.local to simply include a line /usr/sbin/ethtool -s sys0 wol g
When the box boots up after this change, then I see WOL is enabled
Code:
root@vuduo4kse:~# ethtool sys0
Settings for sys0:
[…]
   Supports Wake-on: gs
   Wake-on: g
        SecureOn password: 00:00:00:00:00:00
   Current message level: 0x00000000 (0)

Link detected: yes

pcfe

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks @Shiro but according to the repo description that is an E2 plugin to send magic WOL packets. I already have multiple machines where I can send WoL packets from (and actively do to wake up some of my computers when needed).

I am looking for enabling and using WoL on my Vu+ so that I can wake the Vu+ up from deep standby without having to physically walk to it.