Irish DTT EPG Problem

mickd

Vu+ User
I have been using Blackhole with a Vu Duo and a Nova-T USB for the Irish DTT called Saorview for several months without any problems. Recently the EPG has stopped downloading correctly. This is more than likely a change by the provider. Normally when 1 of the DTT channels are selected the EPG for the week will download(DVB EIT). Now there are gaps in the EPG schedule. It has been reported that the Language descriptor has been changed from "eng" to "ENG". Would this change cause the gaps in the EPG scehdule? Can anyone help fix this issue?

rurs

Vu+ Newbie
Please have a look at this, it's a major issue for Irish users. We basically need a patch which will give us a looser interpretation of the DVB standard.

Or could someone who knows how and where the DVB-EIT information is decoded in the image give us some pointers, so that maybe one of us Irish users can work on this.

mickd

Vu+ User
Thanks rurs. Can someone here help with this issue? I have 2 x Vu Duo with the same problem. EPG Centre shows an error in the log when dowloaing the EPG.

18:39:04:208 ============================ Undefined Language Codes Used ==============================
18:39:04:208
18:39:04:238 Language code: ENG
18:39:04:258 Language code: Invalid DVB text string: byte 1 is not a valid value

rurs

Vu+ Newbie
That's interesting - what's EPG Centre? Is it part of the vu+ image?

It looks clear from what you have posted the the problem is definitely the language code in capital letters.

I spent a while last night researching this, got bogged down with tuxbox, openembedded, eit.h, si.h files. I don't know where to begin. I think the image might have to be compiled especially to fix it.

mickd

Vu+ User
Sorry rurs the exe is called EPG Centre but the program is called EPG Collector. It's a windows package for creating an XLMTV file. If you google for EPG Collector you can download it from sourceforge.net. I connected the USB tuner to my laptop, installed the drivers and ran the application just to see what is happening. It does download the EPG but the log also shows errors. I have also tried to have a look at the DVB EIT but I don't even know where to begin either. I think you may be right with image having to be compiled again to fix this issue. It would be nice to have an option in the next release of Blackhole to cater for this EPG problem.

mickd

Vu+ User
It's now being reported that this is more than likely the provider reusing the same EPG Event ID's within a 7 day period. This makes more sense as if it is was the language descriptors every event would be dropped. Looking at it today it looks like it has been corrected. The EPG has no gaps. We wait and see........