Multi language Subtitles (Different SRT files)

semtex57

Vu+ Newbie
As far as I've noticed, the SRT files needs to have exactly the same name as the video file, how can we manage to have 2 different SRT files for 2 different languages and be able to choose with yellow button?

I used to have .en.srt or .fr.srt and was able to choose the language on the PC, but this is not working on the VU, media player or EMC do not see any subtitle

bogdanm

As far as I've noticed, the SRT files needs to have exactly the same name as the video file, how can we manage to have 2 different SRT files for 2 different languages and be able to choose with yellow button?

I used to have .en.srt or .fr.srt and was able to choose the language on the PC, but this is not working on the VU, media player or EMC do not see any subtitle
Im never try this but you write intrested post try and write info about your test.
But i think is inposible have 2 file with same name

semtex57

Vu+ Newbie
No I do not want to have the same name for the 2 files, but adding an Extension ...
For example :

Under the Dome - 1x08 - Thicker than Water.fr.srt for french
Under the Dome - 1x08 - Thicker than Water.en.srt for english

VLC or WDLXTV is detecting the 2 files as subtitles for Under the Dome - 1x08 - Thicker than Water.mp4 and give the choice between fr and en in the selection

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
@semtex57
I was testing this a little because it was complete new for me.
Windoze XP and VLC 207 both in my local language, not en/fr.

Testfolder containing movie.mp4 and movie.srt (english), tested and working.
srt-file copied and renamed to movie.en.srt and movie.fr.srt

changed a couple of words in the start of movie.en.srt

My VLC plays movie.en.srt, No choice or menu, how come ??

Switched name of them so en become fr and vice versa, still playing the en-srt.
upgraded VLC to 208 same behavior.
Deleted all srt = no subs so they are not hardsubs.

Could you please provide my with your versions and language
and a printscreen of the choice, and/or explain your -choice "howto"

TIA

semtex57

Vu+ Newbie
@semtex57
I was testing this a little because it was complete new for me.
Windoze XP and VLC 207 both in my local language, not en/fr.

Testfolder containing movie.mp4 and movie.srt (english), tested and working.
srt-file copied and renamed to movie.en.srt and movie.fr.srt

changed a couple of words in the start of movie.en.srt

My VLC plays movie.en.srt, No choice or menu, how come ??

Switched name of them so en become fr and vice versa, still playing the en-srt.
upgraded VLC to 208 same behavior.
Deleted all srt = no subs so they are not hardsubs.

Could you please provide my with your versions and language
and a printscreen of the choice, and/or explain your -choice "howto"

TIA

Ok, will provide you the test files and screenshot this evening, but the selection is done in windows VLC under video / subtitles track... That is where the two SRT files appears
Greg

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
OK, they appear there as track1 and track2 and so on, for me too.
Perhaps I misunderstood you, I saw a picture in my mind with
choice:
1: EN
2: FR

sorry, my bad

thanks

semtex57

Vu+ Newbie
The naming is not the issue, but the possibility in the VU to have more than one SRT file ..... If the start of the file name is the same, that it gives the possibility to choose.

semtex57

Vu+ Newbie
is there perhaps any news about this ? I'm using now filbert to automatically grab subtitles, and they come automatically with the .eng.srt or .fre.srt extension ... This feature is well supported in media center as Plex or XMBC, is there a way to integrate this in medias player subtitle selection ?

bogdanm

is there perhaps any news about this ? I'm using now filbert to automatically grab subtitles, and they come automatically with the .eng.srt or .fre.srt extension ... This feature is well supported in media center as Plex or XMBC, is there a way to integrate this in medias player subtitle selection ?
I think you mast used external plugins to download subtiles.
Im no see any plugin who automatic download subtiles when you will be can play films.

semtex57

Vu+ Newbie
I'm using an external plugin "filebot" to rename the tv shows and automatically download the subtitles.

The problem is the extension in the file name with the language ... It is not supported in vu yet.... I hope

Sent from my iPad using tapatalk

Alexis120

Vu+ Newbie
The best solution for you is probably to merge 2 .SRT files in one. There is an online tool for dual subtitles : dualsubtitles.com The tool create an .ASS subtitle files from 2 different .SRT files, and you can load it on any other video player.

naglafar

Vu+ Newbie
For me, the best solution is to create a mkv file which can contain several subtitles (and several audios too). By using the mkvmerge toolkit software, it's very fast, only few seconds by video. You just have to add the video, the subtitles, and merge them. You can even specify the language of each subtitle, and this selected language is recognized by the vu+ (I tested it successfully).