OpenMultiboot, USB pen and external USB HDD

abra

Vu+ Newbie
I have a Duo2 with internal hdd and also external usb hdd. The internal hdd interface is /dev/sda1, which is mounted to /media/hdd. The external usb hdd is connected to the usb slot on the front side of Duo2 is /dev/sdb1, mounted as /media/usb1. What happens if I add a usb pen in the rear usb slot for OpenMultiboot, will be defined as /dev/sdc1 ? Is the order of always the same (internal hdd first=/dev/sda, external usb interface on Duo2 front side second=/dev/sdb, and external usb interfaces on the rear side=/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd ? Is this order always the same, or the order of usb interfaces can swap sometimes (usb on rear side before usb on front side) ? Because if this happens, the mount points for usb devices will become invalid, with bad consequences (OpenMultiboot would not work anymore, Media player would not access external usb hdd, and so on).
Does anyone use this combination (internal and external hdd, openmultiboot on usb pen) ?

nunigaia

I have a Duo2 with internal hdd and also external usb hdd. The internal hdd interface is /dev/sda1, which is mounted to /media/hdd. The external usb hdd is connected to the usb slot on the front side of Duo2 is /dev/sdb1, mounted as /media/usb1. What happens if I add a usb pen in the rear usb slot for OpenMultiboot, will be defined as /dev/sdc1 ? Is the order of always the same (internal hdd first=/dev/sda, external usb interface on Duo2 front side second=/dev/sdb, and external usb interfaces on the rear side=/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd ? Is this order always the same, or the order of usb interfaces can swap sometimes (usb on rear side before usb on front side) ? Because if this happens, the mount points for usb devices will become invalid, with bad consequences (OpenMultiboot would not work anymore, Media player would not access external usb hdd, and so on).
Does anyone use this combination (internal and external hdd, openmultiboot on usb pen) ?

1) - It´s highly recommended as already told, using a usb pen drive for Open Multiboot.
I have my internal WD HDD running on my DUO2 ( 1Tb ), and don´t need a second HDD!

2) - I have my USB PEN DRIVE to run OpenMultiboot ... already booted 13 different images on it without issues ... and on the same pen, i´ve my <picon> files ... it´s mapped as on the guide i made as /media/usb ...

Teste.png

Note: If you mount allways in the same order ... i think you don´t get any issues ... If you intend to use OpenMultiboot ... use on flash OBH .... and the other images on Multiboot as on the list --> GUIDE HERE

best regards
nunigaia

abra

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I want to use a usb pen drive for OpenMultiboot and insert it on the back side of Duo2.
Do the images started on OpenMultiboot also "see" the usb pen drive itself as device, or is "invisible" for them ?
I ask this because I have an image (which I want to put on OpenMultiboot) which "sees" the external usb hdd (connected on the front usb on Duo2) which recognizes this hdd as /dev/sdb (as I poted, mounted as /media/usb1).

Also I have a question about the partitions on the usb pen drive: what is the advantage of having 2 partitions of 8 GB each, instead of only one partition of 16 GB ?

Last edited:

nunigaia

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I want to use a usb pen drive for OpenMultiboot and insert it on the back side of Duo2.
Do the images started on OpenMultiboot also "see" the usb pen drive itself as device, or is "invisible" for them ?
I ask this because I have an image (which I want to put on OpenMultiboot) which "sees" the external usb hdd (connected on the front usb on Duo2) which recognizes this hdd as /dev/sdb (as I poted, mounted as /media/usb1).

Also I have a question about the partitions on the usb pen drive: what is the advantage of having 2 partitions of 8 GB each, instead of only one partition of 16 GB ?

In the guide it´s only an example ... i have an 16GB usb pen drive with only one partition ... an HDD 1TB with only one partition too.
Don´t understand why you have you HDD USB drive mounted as /media/usb .

best regards
nunigaia

abra

Vu+ Newbie
How else should be the external hdd be mounted ?
I already used /media/hdd to mount internal hdd.

As I did not used OpenMultiboot yet, I have a "dummy" question: when restarting the receiver, is there any boot-menu available, which allows to choose to boot the image in flash, or one of the images installed on the usb pen drive ? (I did not see any screenshot with this in the guide)

nunigaia

How else should be the external hdd be mounted ?
I already used /media/hdd to mount internal hdd.

As I did not used OpenMultiboot yet, I have a "dummy" question: when restarting the receiver, is there any boot-menu available, which allows to choose to boot the image in flash, or one of the images installed on the usb pen drive ? (I did not see any screenshot with this in the guide)

A: If you use Open BlackHole 0.1 in flash ... yes, although you can deactivate this on Open Multiboot plugin settings. If you use BlackHole 3.0.1 in flash ... this must be fixed in a next release. You have, in this case, to choose the next image to boot acessing the plugins list ( in your STB ), by selecting the Open Multiboot plugin.

best regards
nunigaia

abra

Vu+ Newbie
Ok, thanks.
But once deactivated in the Open Multiboot plugin settings, how can you boot Open BlackHole 0.1 again, or some other image on the usb pen drive ?

abra

Vu+ Newbie
Lets say I have OpenBlackHole in flash and install OpenPli on the usb pen drive over the OpenMultiboot plugin, and choose it as the active image to be booted. After this I disable over the Multiboot plugin the display of the boot-menu options at receiver start. I restart the receiver which boots then OpenPli, as configured. But OpenPli does not have the OpenMultiboot plugin installed. How can I get into the OpenMultiboot plugin menu ? The only way is probably to restart the receiver and remove the usb pen drive, and so boot again the image from the flash (OpenBlackHole).

nunigaia

Lets say I have OpenBlackHole in flash and install OpenPli on the usb pen drive over the OpenMultiboot plugin, and choose it as the active image to be booted. After this I disable over the Multiboot plugin the display of the boot-menu options at receiver start. I restart the receiver which boots then OpenPli, as configured. But OpenPli does not have the OpenMultiboot plugin installed. How can I get into the OpenMultiboot plugin menu ? The only way is probably to restart the receiver and remove the usb pen drive, and so boot again the image from the flash (OpenBlackHole).

Hi mate. Follow my Guide it´s simple to handle Open Multiboot and you can boot into severall images, doesn´t matter if you use in flash Open Blackhole 0.1 or BlackHole 3.0.1, the threatment is the same, the steps are the same too.

You don´t need to disable nothing. You just need to upload as i said, the zip firmware you intend to have as second boot ( 2nd, third, ..... n image ), unpack it by installing each image it takes 5 or 6 minutes for each image to unpack., after unpacking each image you can set it up each one.

To unpack, this job must be done fom the image booted ( flash image ).

I give there the example how to create 2 partitions, on my system i have only one to handle:

Open Multiboot
Picons
Lcd4Linux Clocks
Lcd4Linux Weather picons.
CrossEpg dat files.
Music, etc.

Remember: Run only images regarding your Vuplus STB Model, don´t try images for other STB´S models.

Last edited: