Rewinding Live TV is Rubbish - is this normal?

Is this normal?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Da_Matser

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, I am a noob and installed a new Samsung SpinPoint M8 HN-M101MBB 1TB SATA II 2.5" 5400rpm HDD into my brand new Duo2 at the weekend. I have also installed Permanent Timeshift 1.0.0 Final. All recording paths are set to default (HDD).
I have done a lot of research both before purchase and over the weekend and didn't expect this unit to perform quite to the standard of the Sky+ HD box.
However, rewinding live TV is apalling. At times, it will not rewind at all. Sometimes it will rewind by a couple of seconds. When it does rewind by any significant amount, the picture stutters and jumps around so much it is very difficult to see where we have rewound to. I did try changing the path to USB (Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 16GB) to see if this would help, but it was just as bad - if not worse!
I have also noticed some minor freezing on playback - after rewinding live TV.
Do you think I have a suspect HDD (eBay seller feedback suggests some units are reconditioned and mine had void stamped on it where the integrity seal has been removed)? In that case, why didn't swapping to USB improve this?
Do you have any other suggestions or, as in the title, is this normal?