You state that your signal quality readings are:
SNR
CBS Action 59
Das Erste 50
ESP International 51
Italia 1 45
Polsat 57
Roma TV 49

With a 90cm dish, properly aligned, you should get at least 80%, and more likely in the 90% range. Have you skewed, (Rotated), your LNB to the correct position?
Have you checked for any external interference, causing the problem, like a DECT telephone?

Petrushka

Vu+ Newbie
I am embarrassed to admit that the problem was the dish alignment (or, to be precise, adjusting the dish alignment solved the specific problem I was addressing). The nuts holding my dish in place are enormous, and quite clearly could not have moved. Nevertheless, when I connected a signal strength meter to the LNB pointing at Hotbird, and aimed the dish a couple of degrees higher, the meter squealed with delight. A blind scan on Hotbird then found 1915 channels, including all of those on transponder 12476. When I checked a few channels, I found that signal to noise ratios had increased from the sixties to the nineties. Very strangely, however, when I removed the signal strength meter, they dropped back to the sixties, though those on 12476 remained in the sixties, with a good picture on those offering FTA.
My problem is thus solved. However, I am mildly curious as to why the a signal strength meter should enhance signal strength. Are they supposed to?

Mick12334

It could be the meter settings, as most receivers will also give different signal quality readings, also it could be your cable, losing signal quality, between the LNB, Diseqc switch, and receiver.
Providing you don't lose signal, when it's raining, then everything is fine.

Petrushka

Vu+ Newbie
It cannot be the cable, as the same cable was used with and without the signal strength meter. The meter settings are irrelevant, as the signal strengths I refer to were reported by the receiver. Clearly something is still not quite what it should be, and I am curious to what.

Mick12334

What type of meter are you using?
Some have their own built in tv screens, and signal quaity readings.
How long is your cable set up?
Have you tried changing the cables round, and using different Diseqc ports?
I can't see the meter having a signal booster, and usually, when you take the meter out of the loop, the signal quality improves, slightly.

Petrushka

Vu+ Newbie
The meter does not have a name on it, merely a label Satellite Finder, but I seem to recall that it was advertised as a Hamas. It was inexpensive. The cable is 5m. I have tried 3 of them, and all behaved exactly the same.

Mick12334

Then it must be the meter, somehow affecting the signal quality readings.
Check the signal quality readings next time it rains, and if you don't lose picture then it's working correctly.

Petrushka

Vu+ Newbie
I am still having trouble with hotbird transponder 12476. There are now 12 channels, and most of the time they all come in strong. Just occasionally, however, for a few hours they all come in with signal strength zero. This suggests to me that the cause is external. What could it be, however?

Mick12334

Please post your signal strength readings, for a number of transponders, both Horizontal, and Vertical, polarity.
Are you using a fixed dish, with single LNB, Motorized dish, or other system?
Have you got your LNB skewed correctly, rotated to the correct position?