Solo2 blue circle light is flickering and standby menu stuck on screen!

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
Hi guys,

For several weeks now my Solo2 is having a strange problem whereby the standby menu pops up on the screen for absolutely no reason whatsoever. If I press [exit] on the remote control the screen goes blank for a split second and then shows the standby menu again. I cannot get this to go away and none of the buttons on the remote control will work. This is the same from my universal remote control. When the standby menu is on the blue circle light on the box begins to flicker. Here is a short video of the problem. You will notice that the box starting working correctly again towards the end of the video when the blue circle light dimmed.

The problem is vert much intermittent but is definitely getting worse. It happens almost every 20-30 minutes now; making the box almost completely unwatchable. Strangely, it works fine over Webif and using the Vu+ android tablet app. It streams video anc changes channel no bother at all.

I have tried new batteries, 2 separate remote controls, removing hard drives and pen drivers, flashing different images countless times (Blackhole and Open VIX), using stock firmware from Vu+ website etc. I cannot think of anything else to try and as it stands, my box is being returned for repair/replacement. I should also point out that sometimes the box will get stuck on starting and not even boot up at all. I would then have to switch it off for a few hours and then it seems to boot ok. If there's anything else you guys can suggest that may fix this I would appreciate it. Of course, I would prefer not to have to send my box away but at the moment it looks like I have no choice.

Here's a video cliip of me attempting to flash back to the original stock firmware, and yet again the box is stuck on starting, but notice the strange behaviour of the blue circle light. It is very bright and flickering and I have no idea what is causing it.

Really appreciate any help that can be provided. Thank you!

amazing description, I wish I'd see every single problem described as you did it.

What kind of storage (hdd, usb, etc) do you use with your box?
And, I'm sorry for that, but that skin from the beginning of 2nd video is not supported here (and from my experience that could be a reason of your probs)
Try to remove all mounted devices from your box and load original image again using only usb stick and usb socket on the front of your box.
You can also try to load 2.0.4 version of bh but use it with care without any additional plugins/skins or customization.
Please post the results of your work here.

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks very much for the reply darian23 and thank you for the complement. Problems are always easier to fix when as much information is provided as possible. ;)

I was using a Western Digital Blue - 750GB Portable SATA Hard Drive - OEM. I removed this completetly incase it was the cause and then reverted to a Kingston Generation 3 32GB DataTraveller USB Drive. The exact same symtoms were still present.

You are quite right regarding the skin/image used in the video as it is quite obviously not BH. I was using BH 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 for months with no bother at all and then the stuck in standby problem started to happen. I tried Open VIX as it seemed to make sense to see if the same problem happened with another image, but same applies. I've reinstalled firmware so many times over the last week you would not believe! The box is going back for repair as it stands and to be very honest I am not confident that 2.0.4 will fix this. It does not seem to be firmware related given the many different versions I have tried. Something tells me that the IR transmitter in the box is at fault as everything else seems to work fine. I can even use Webif without any issues whatsoever. Very, very strange indeed!

I meant that you should use BH skin for testing purposes.
Regarding remote control I saw many posts about it earlier on and at the end people concluded that using plasma TVs and vu remote control may cause problems receiving vu's IR commands. I'm not sure it's related to you and I wasn't following these posts as it has never affected boxes I own/owned.

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks darian23. I do have a plasma screen actually but I'm certain that it isn't causing this issue. Even when the TV is powered off it is still present. I've sent the box back to my retailer. According to a reputable member on another forum the VFD circuit board which connected the display is faulty and needs replaced. I'll post back here whenever I receive a repair or replacement from the retailer as it may well help someone else.