Stuck with "movie" folder

Tepp

Vu+ Newbie
Dear Community,

I'm stuck in the "movie" folder in PVR Player:

1. When entering /media/hdd/movie folder from standard PVR Player, there is no way out. There is no "..". The only way I found in through the Epg button (bookmark menu), then selecting other bookmark. If there is no other bookmarks, I have to press the Menu and "switch to file list", then create a new one. Arrrrr !!!!

At the same time, in Media Player plugin the movie folder is normal, the same as others, no difference.

2. Cannot delete the /media/hdd/movie - it re-appears again with the same above problem. What????

3. Recordings location moved to this /media/hdd/movie folder for some reason. Don't know how to change it back to /media/hdd.

This is realy confusing!!! What is this magic movie folder???

Please HELP !!!

BR,

AlexWilMac

There is no ".." because it's the root. But the advantage of OBH is that you can browse your folders very easily.
Have you ever tried to press MENU once in the recording list? And then Settings? There's a world ouside there!
You can also configure at your will the coloured buttons. For instance I assigned one of them to Path.
Under OBH you have these kind of options and customize them in almost every part of OBH.
MENU and Settings works basically everywhere.

Tepp

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you for quick reply.

I found the settings in Menu > Setup > Recording, Playback & Timeshift. I changed the root to /media/ - and it works as expected now!!!
But I had also to change the recording location to "recordings" folder as it cannot write to /media/ (default is to root settings).

Probably I deleted some bookmarks and it changed the root to movie. I don't know.

Thanx

AlexWilMac

No, I think it's not the best way to be comfortable: set your "movie" (recording) folder correctly because you are not using the difficult BH: OBH is much more comfortable at browsing.
If you do the way you said, you'll have to uncomfy change to the movie folder each time: I don't think is comfortable.
Another BIG advantage of OBH, compared to BH, is that you can:
1) create subfolders within the movie one whivh you will be able to browse down and up.
2) You can create symlinks within the "movie" folder to point at whatever folder you like, even under different devices (NAS or external HDDs).
To create a symlink you must use telnet or ssh:

cd /movie
ln -s real_folder symlink_name

Tepp

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you, but I'm happy with that as it is ... :)

I can move freely to any folder I want, including network shares, different hdd folders, and at the same time keeping recordings in a separate place.

AlexWilMac

I was not at home when I answered you, so I did it by heart. Now, I did some tries myself.
I think I misunderstood your post because I believed that, with your setting, you should manually choose the movie folder when you needed it: instead, I see that, indeed, even choosing the /media/hdd instead of the classic /media/hdd/movie, it still opens the movie folder.
The difference is that you have now also the ".." choice (as, for instance, when I browse my NAS by one of the symlinks created in the movie folder) and this is good.
Anyway, as I customized the coloured buttons long ago and I don't remember their default functions, either by the default setting or by a customized one, you can quickly get back to movie folder by them ;)

AlexWilMac

Doing some more tries, I found out that there is a counter effect choosing as default for recordings the /media/hdd path: the counter effect is that the "Home" command does not get you to the movie folder any longer.
As I use a lot the symlinks, having the ".." shown to go up from /media/hdd/movie to /media/hdd is not useful, as I have no folders (for multimedia purposes) in the root of the hard disk.
I have, instead, some folders within the movie one, easily accessible by OBH, and (as said) some symlinks to point at different devices. This makes useless to go up to the HDD root, at least for me.
But it was useful to find out this behaviour the same ;)

Tepp

Vu+ Newbie
Your'e right, there is another easy way to move around even if your root is set to "movie" or any other folder - the yellow button (labelled as Location).

Thank you for your time.

Tepp

Vu+ Newbie
One thing I found is when you set your root to /media/ folder, the timeshift cannot be saved, because it tries to save to incorrect folder - a default movie folder you set in the: Menu > Setup > Recording, Playback & Timeshift > Recording & playback > Default movie location, while the timeshift location option: ... > Timeshift > Timeshift location - is not used actually, which is not correct in my opinion. Probably a bug.

AlexWilMac

I hadn't this problem for the time my movie folder was set to /media/hdd just because I have always timeshift folder set to a subfolder of my HDD. I don't want the many files timeshift creates in the hdd root folder that I want to keep as cleaner as possible.
So, I have a subfolder for timeshift whom the path points at and that's why I had no issues in that moment.
About YELLOW's button function, as I said, it's been a long time I customized my coloured buttons: so, I don't remember the original meanings.
For instance, I set YELLOW as "Home" and Long Yellow as "Path..." (or Location as you say: it's not set in English in my system).
Surely, you can do whatever by pressing Configuration.