Tuner Lock issue

TheAincient

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, I'm a VU+ noob so please be patient with me.
I'm having issues where where satilite finder cant lock onto various transponders at 28.2E, I'll give an example latter in this post.
My old setup was a qbox mini HD with a single line to a shared dish (4 flats) the dish has a quad LMB, the qbox is able to lock onto all active transponders at 28.2E so all channels are available.

I have just received a VU+ solo2 and have the latest BH image loaded with the latest drivers.
I have tuner A setup as:
config mode = simple
mods = single
sat = astra 1d/2a/2b/2d/eb1 (28.2e)
send Diseqc = no

as an example when I do a satellite finder on:
(should be Sky2)

Sat: 28.2
System: DVB-S2 (or DVB-S)
Freq: 12207
Inversion: Auto
Sym Rate: 27500
Polarization: V
FEC: 2/3
Mudulation: QPSK
Rolloff: 0.35
Pilot: Auto

I get a fluctuating SNR between 0% and 99%
AGC: 45%
BER: 0

on the qbox the same satellite finder locks and shows a steady SNR 83%
Many other channels are fine both vertical and horizontal polarization.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

valb

Vu+ Newbie
I have exactly the same problem with my solo2, but it comes and goes. e.g. yesterday no problem with Sky news. Today and other days problems from about 9 am til about 4 or 5 pm. There is also a problom with Eurobird channels. I have tested the lnb on another receiver - no probs. Have also tested that there is a 22khz signal with a sat. meter. I had an idea at one stage that it was caused by revision C and went back to rev. A. This worked for a while and then the problem returned. Tuner B gives the same problem so it can't be the tuner.
Please help! Someone. I'm at my wits end

paolino

Vu+ User+++
I have exactly the same problem with my solo2, but it comes and goes. e.g. yesterday no problem with Sky news. Today and other days problems from about 9 am til about 4 or 5 pm. There is also a problom with Eurobird channels. I have tested the lnb on another receiver - no probs. Have also tested that there is a 22khz signal with a sat. meter. I had an idea at one stage that it was caused by revision C and went back to rev. A. This worked for a while and then the problem returned. Tuner B gives the same problem so it can't be the tuner.

Sensibility of Solo2 is not excellent (like other Linux receivers with onchip tuners). Both of you should check dish alignment and all the line from LNB to tuner.
In my case with dual LNB on one straight cable input I have SNR 83% AGC 84% and on the other one with the same cable lenght but with F junction in middle only SNR 74% AGC 41%. That little piece is reducing 10% of SNR and 43% of AGC. Solo2 needs a good signal. Maybe a line amplifier mounted close to LNB could help.

paolino

Vu+ User+++

Depends on your location, because there were some changes on 28,2E on footprints. Check Kingsofsat or Lyngsat for details.

valb

Vu+ Newbie
Many thanks for your comments regarding location and the Solo2 Sensitivity. It was my impression that the tuner was better than the one on my Vantage 8000TS as I am pulling more channels in from 5W on the Solo2 than on the Vantage.
As regards location I am in an area where the requirements to get anything from 1N Pan European (eg Sky News) is a 50cm dish and the same for Eutelsat 28A. My dish is 150cm. I realise that the fact that the signal comes and goes is an indication that it has something to do with the footprint that changes slightly during the day but the thing that struck me was that it is only high band channels that are a problem. Next time the signals are lost I'll do a check on the 28A low band channels.
Although I live right outside the reception area I have no problems with 1N and 2F UK beams.

valb

Vu+ Newbie
In the more than 20 years I have worked with satellite tv reception I have never before experienced signal loss in good weather and the return of signals in bad weather. It is usually the other way round. When I noticed that there was the same problem with high frequency channels on Astra 19,2 E (tuner B, different dish, different LNB) I concluded, rightly or wrongly, that it was the Solo2 that was having problems processing good quality, high band signals.
As an experiment I went into Satfinder and played around with the frequency for Sky News on 28,2 E 12.207 V and changed this to 12.209. Suddenly the SNR no longer jumped up and down from 0 til 90+ but stayed at a steady 92/93. A manual scan on this frequency has so far, with a mixture of good and bad weather, given me a picture whenever I have tuned in. After a couple of days with this excellent result I did the same thing on the Eurosat 28A frequencies that were giving problems and so far the different channels have been there 24/7. Not that I watch them - shopping and other cr*p.
I wonder if the original starter of this thread can get the same result.
If so, then the question is whether it is a hardware or software problem and what we can do about it- apart from using the solution I have discovered.

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Two things are in question: Local box oscillator and LNB oscillator. I'm pretty sure, that you know, what I'm talking about. (Intermediate frequencies and so on..). Could be defective Solo2. You tried with two different LNB's. Could happen, ask for replacement of box.

zdan

Vu+ Newbie
Two things are in question: Local box oscillator and LNB oscillator. I'm pretty sure, that you know, what I'm talking about. (Intermediate frequencies and so on..). Could be defective Solo2. You tried with two different LNB's. Could happen, ask for replacement of box.

Referring to the maters above I may have an assumption that the Solo2 tuner is really having a problem. I have few set difference brand of STB's, all perform well but when come to Solo2 the problem arise. Mostly on the tuner sensitivity. I already inform this matter the manufacturer but no response yet..

Matrix10

Administrator
It seems to me that we have different VU solo2
such fluctuations in the signals i have never noticed
on any satellite and any frequency.
Absolutely I've never seen some sort of jumps from 0 to 90%
by default it is only one to a maximum of 3%
Of course, with a stable weather.
The same goes for my comparisons with other E2 receivers.
Some sort of jumps from 0 to 90% is for sure HW defect
Now where and how I do not know.
To understand radio communication is my profession for many years.

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Referring to the maters above I may have an assumption that the Solo2 tuner is really having a problem. I have few set difference brand of STB's, all perform well but when come to Solo2 the problem arise. Mostly on the tuner sensitivity. I already inform this matter the manufacturer but no response yet..

Could you be so kind and post a 5 Mpix photo of internal part of your Solo2 (Motherboard)?
Thanks a lot :thanks: .

valb

Vu+ Newbie
I attach a photo of the motherboard that I hope can be of some use.

Regards,
valb

Attachments

• DSCF0579.JPG
    DSCF0579.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 77

paolino

Vu+ User+++
I attach a photo of the motherboard that I hope can be of some use.

Regards,
valb

Thanks a lot. It's the same like mine. Colud be a problem of transils close to LNB F-connectors. Or... :idea:
Last check - move Sata cable to left. Don't leave it close to sat signal tracks on MB. Could create interferences.
If this will not help, ask for replacement.

@Matrix10: Do you have some QRA?

Matrix10

Administrator
Thanks a lot. It's the same like mine. Colud be a problem of transils close to LNB F-connectors. Or... :idea:
Last check - move Sata cable to left. Don't leave it close to sat signal tracks on MB. Could create interferences.
If this will not help, ask for replacement.

@Matrix10: Do you have some QRA?

North Western Europe :D
If we are talking about Ham Radio
I have A class already more than 30 years.
But I quit a few years ago
Unable to work with kilowatt and a large antenna from the city.
Comes half of the city on my door.
I still have two transceivers under the bed :chair:

73s my friend.

Matrix10

Administrator
I think.
It is hard to tell from a distance
what could be causing problem.
The best way is a way of testing that will eliminate the cause of one by one.
Personally, I think the cause lies either in the cable or the instability of the oscillator in the LNB that may cause harmonious frequencies.
that is somehow Solo sensitive and another receiver might not because it is a varying HW design.
Of course all of this is provided that Solo2 is not defect.

So it is best to test the Solo2 receiver on a different location,
and if you have another type of LNB on the same location, it would be a good for test
In most cases it can help.

paolino

Vu+ User+++
North Western Europe :D
If we are talking about Ham Radio
I have A class already more than 30 years.
But I quit a few years ago
Unable to work with kilowatt and a large antenna from the city.
Comes half of the city on my door.
I still have two transceivers under the bed :chair:

73s my friend.

Ham. I like QRP 70cm and 2m in my case. Left a year ago OM4***. Far south-west Europe :lol:. You know what I mean. :offtopic::lamo::offtopic:
I apologize to all for out of topic.

@valb: Inform us, please, what happened after moving SATA cable.

valb

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you all for your interest in my problem and your constructive suggestions. I don't think it is the LNB as this works fine on my other (Sk$) box and the problem is also on tuner B with another dish and LNB for Astra 19,2.
I moved the SATA cable by tucking it down the side of the hdd and well away from the signal tracks on the motherboard.
Today we have brilliant sunshine and almost cloud free sky. Sky News and other high band channels that I retune by adding 2 to the frequency are all OK. On their "normal" frequecy the SNR jumps up and down like a yo-yo.
Thinking back to the hours I spent trying to tune into Astra 2D on my old Vantage receiver it was very normal for the SNR to act in this way on the weak transponders. I live miles outside the old 2D footprint and about 15-30 minutes before a good signal was available (satellite moving, atmospherics etc.) the SNR started hopping. This told me that I could soon see the program I wanted to see!
Now I have a solution I will probably wait a bit and see if this works in the long run. I'm none too happy about returning the box and asking for a new one as i doubt very much if the supplier will believe me as the situation is so unusual. I don't know if they are required to make a test of the equipment before returning it to VU+ . They might not get the same results.
Regards to all.
I must say I'm very impressed with B.H. and all the helpfull people on this board.

Valb

zdan

Vu+ Newbie
Referring to Tuner Issue posted byTheAincient, I may have some conclusion that some unit of Solo2 tuner is having a problem.
The issue is;

1. Signal fluactuation.
2. Tuner is not sensitive enough to pick up and lock the signal.
3. Sometimes normal scan would not register the scanned frequency.
4. Have to do manual scan on some transponder by manually keyed in frequency.

What equipment that I have to verified this problem.
One unit Dreambox 7000S
One unit Dreambox DM800SE
One unit Skybox F3
One unit Amiko Alien 1.

The Dish.
Solid 6ft Polar mount with positioner and twin C/ku..
Offset 80CM with twin Ku 0.1NF LNB.
Work satellites range from Intelsat 20E to Intelsat 19E

and
Satlink WS-6918P - Satellite analyzer meter.

It totally wrong if someone talk or suggestion about connection, termination, faulty LNB or in proper setting or configuration the system. All cabling (Belden) system and terminations are in good order.

It would be nice if a latest tuner patch firmware release by the manufacturer.

to Valb.. what a brilliant idea, I will try it. TQ.

hopefully all members QSL the issue.

73'de..

paolino

Vu+ User+++
@zdan: I'm doing sometimes same thinks (some DX). I wrote in post #7 what could be a problem. There is no TCXO inside a box. Probably his box oscillator is out of tollerance.

73's

Matrix10

Administrator
This is all well and good,
but on my solo2 it is impossible to verify because I do not have that problem
The same goes for my friends who have solo2
So something is wrong
What I can not verify because I have no such a box with signal fluactuation and bad sensitivity.
I can only say that the sensitivity is not worse if not better on solo2, compared with +- 7 other E2 HD receivers
I had or have and i have test with the same antenna.
As for the frequency instability of mixer
or deviation of course it could be in the box
but also in the LNB.
Of course if someone finds the same problem with different LNBs
problem is with the receiver.
But practically so far we have had many cases with problems in LNB starting from E1 and DM7000.
But I responsibly claim that this is not the case with my solo2 and solo2 from my friends

I've never seen a fluctuation greater than two or three per cent,
in normal weather conditions.
Fluctuations from 0 to 90% we talking about HW failure,I've never seen on my receivers
and for sure not on my solo2.

73 s MX