Updating BlackHole with Plugins and Addons

Seany84

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

Background:
I have just bought a Vu+ Solo2 in the last couple of weeks. The box came pre-loaded with BlackHole as I am sure they all do.

I have only installed one additional plugin: Timeshift
I have setup CrossEPG and AutoBouquets to update and download each morning automatically.

I have made a full-system backup to my internal hard-drive so I presume that I will be able to recover should anything go wrong.

Question 1:
What happens when I update the BlackHole system software? Will it keep my configurations or will I have to set it all up again?

Question 2:
What about plugins and addons, are they updated with the BlackHole update or do I need to do these separate to the system software update?

Thanks

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
Hello mate.If you do the online update,let's say you have Blackhole 2.1.7 it will update to 2.1.7.1 and all your settings will stay intact until you physically remove them or re flash with another image.

Seany84

Vu+ Newbie
I've updated the BlackHole system software.
After it restarted, it showed the BlackHole boot logo and now it is just showing a black screen on the TV. LCD on the box says VU+ SOLO2 :(

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
Funnily enough mine did that which is unusual as it never normally does that after an update but I switched my Solo2 off with the rear on/off switch and it was back to normal.Try that and see.

Seany84

Vu+ Newbie
I've tried that three times now and have left it for at least 5+ mins each time.

Looks like I will need to restore the backup, do you know if the USB key needs to be formatted in EXT, NTFS or FAT by any chance?

nunigaia

I've tried that three times now and have left it for at least 5+ mins each time.

Looks like I will need to restore the backup, do you know if the USB key needs to be formatted in EXT, NTFS or FAT by any chance?
If you're flashing a backup onto the box it needs to be fat32

No matter is a backup or not ... If you want to flash the STB you need to format your USB PENDRIVE as FAT32 File System.

best regards
nunigaia

Note: Sorry for crossing posts!

Seany84

Vu+ Newbie
I've tried three USB's all formatted to FAT32 just to get this sorted. After boot logo, screen just goes blank.

nunigaia

I've tried three USB's all formatted to FAT32 just to get this sorted. After boot logo, screen just goes blank.

Have you any USB device attached to your STB?

If so ... remove all your USB ... turn off your STB on the power button.

To install a new image, you need an empty USB stick FAT32 formatted.
  1. Download image zip file for your Vu+ model;
  2. Unzip the zip file and you will have a folder named vuplus and under the folder, you will have another folder named after the model of your VuPlus set;
  3. Copy the vuplus folder (including all the sub folders and files in it) to root folder of your USB stick;
  4. WARNING!!! If you have any folder named vuplus on any device connected to your Vu+, delete the folder or rename it;
  5. Turn off your Vu+;
  6. Disconnect all USB flash drives connected to your receiver;
  7. If your receiver is equipped with a front USB port (Duo2, Ultimo, etc.), insert the USB stick in it, otherwise you can insert the USB stick in a rear port.;
  8. Turn on your Vu+.

If, for any reason, the upgrade fails, first disconnect any USB devices connected to your Vu+ and then try again to install the new image.
If the upgrade fails again, try to use another USB stick.

Push POWER button on the box (not on remote control!) when message appears on display.
Update is done when upgrade completed message is shown on the display.

Folder structure of your USB PENDRIVE should be: --> vuplus > solo2 > flash files

best regards
nunigaia

Seany84

Vu+ Newbie
That was the issue, I copied the files to the USB rather than the correct nested folder structure.

Thank you all. I will try to upgrade tomorrow via USB from 2.1.1 to 2.1.7

nunigaia

That was the issue, I copied the files to the USB rather than the correct nested folder structure.

Thank you all. I will try to upgrade tomorrow via USB from 2.1.1 to 2.1.7

It seems ... a few seconds ago ... you was a little bit concerned about the possibility of owning a clone!

I´m happy if you have discovered ... what you have done ... not so well to make it work!

thank you about your reply
see you

nunigaia