Upgrading to VU+ 4K (Duo/Ultimo?) - FCB, Unicable and more questions

elector

Vu+ Newbie
Hi guys,

First post here, bare with me. :)

I'm a bit out of the loop and since I last checked up on satellite stuff I can see there have been quite some advancements in technology. For example FCB, Unicable and stuff like that, I hope you guys can help me working out what kind of equipment I would need to upgrade.

Back in 2012 I last upgraded my current setup with a ET9500 receiver as the heart of the setup along with a WaveFrontier 90 with 8 LNB's (7 dual, 1 quad) and a bunch of DiSEqC's.

Unfortunately the ET is slowly but surely dying on me (crashes happens more and more often), so I'm considering options to upgrade the setup.

So....

I'm looking to upgrade at least the receiver to either a Vu+ 4K, either Duo or Ultimo I think.

Requirements is to be able to watch one channel, record another and possibly stream a third.

If possible I would like to get rid of some of the (ugly) cables running from LNB's to DiSEqC.

I have two cables running into the house that would be nice to re-use, and they can fairly easily be expanded to more cables if needed, or one removed if possible.

Any pointers on what I need to look at? Would Unicable I/II make sense i my setup? New LNB/MultiSwitch/DiSEqC? Something else?

AlexWilMac

Of course they would: unicable make possible (along with FCB tuners) to use at least 4 or even 8 or 16 or 32 virtual tuners.
So, it would be like having up to 32 OUTs from your LNB but with only one cable!
The problem is that you say you have 8 LNBs: so, if you need this capability of recording or watching or streaming at the same time from each LNB, you need also special SCR switches, because the traditional DiseqC ones are not able to manage SCR LNBs.
I have a mixed configuration, with only one SCR/Unicable LNB and 2 universal ones: in this case I can use a normal DiseqC switch. But not with two or more SCRs.
Every VU+ 4K models have FCB tuners. So, you only need to change LNBs and switches.

elector

Vu+ Newbie
Ok, sounds good. Thaks for the info.

Regarding the SCR switch, is that something like the Inverto IDLU-UWT110-CUO1O-32P (sorry not allowed to post links, yet... security feature in the forum)?

As far as I can work out that one only suppose 4LNB's, right? So I would need two of those and two cables going to the reciever, yes/no?

Can you recommend/do you know of any switches that support 8+ LNB's?

ZiggysDomain

Vu+ Newbie
Hi guys. Read this thread with interest so looking for some advice too. I have just bought the Vu+ Ultimo 4K and want to set up Astra 28.2, Hotbird, and digital terrestrial antenna input. That's the current setup with the older Vu+ Ultimo which I'll retire to a bedroom as another option when needed. This older receiver has one input each for Astra, Hotbird and terrestrial, the first two cables coming from universal LNBs on separate dishes and the third one from the terrestrial antenna. What I want to do to take full advantage of the newer FBC tuners is have one cable (unicable?) from each dish and for these cables to feed the FBC tuners in the new box AND the old receiver in the other room. So, question 1: can two unicable sources (Astra & Hotbird) be split with some kind of switch in the attic to feed both receivers? Question 2: can one cable from this switch carry signals to the old Vu+ for both Astra & Hotbird as this will be placed in a bedroom that currently only has one cable arriving from the attic into a faceplate socket? And, question 3: as I already have cables arriving from the attic for both Astra & Hotbird where the main TV resides, can these cables carry the bandwith to enable FBC for each satellite? And, question 3: do I require an FBC tuner for each satellite in order to, for example, be able to record one channel while watching another? Thanks in advance for any help and hope my queries are clear.