usb timeshift problem

tobler

Vu+ User
hello,
on my duo i have the latest 1.7.0 image (and the new usb driver)
i buyied a 8gb new flash drive but i cannot use it as timeshift device (tested with sd and hd channel testing with a ext4 filesystem and correctly mounted on /media/usb2 ), the record start but i cannot go fw/rew
the test with the flash drive in the rear port hub and in the front usb port: nothing change

someone have tried it? the flash drive pro's are that keep the box cold and is suondless, for this i bought (a branded one) one for the timeshift
soem tips or suggestion?
thx

Clabs

Vu+ Newbie
Tobler

In my experience, Timeshift never works reliably on flash drive/usb stick. I tried MANY different types. I eventually found one that kind of worked - fw/rew, pause etc but once I had paused - pressing play again resulted in jerky playback or regular sound dropouts - quite useless!

The only way to make timeshift work reliably is to store it on your HDD.

This is not a Black Hole problem - it has been the same whatever Image/version I have used.

Hope that helps.

tobler

Vu+ User
hello and thx
just tested with an usb hd (always with ext4) and worked fine
i tested ext4 because is the new filesystem (in the past no luck with ext2 and ext3 so now i havent' tryed they)

thanks for the reply, and the bad news, i liked the idea to use a flash drive (silence and temp)
regards

Clabs

Vu+ Newbie
No worries Tobler!

I too liked the idea of silence and temp, and that is why I tested SO many sticks. But this application just does not seem suited to flash drive technology.

At least we tried :)

tobler

Vu+ User
yesyes :)
for a curiosity i have tested just now the 2 devices with my pc:
the flash one (emtec 8gb)
and the hd one a toshiba 2,5" 160gb in a usb case adapter
i thinked about a similar speed, but with the benchs are 2 different worlds
(on the left the reading speeds, on the right the writing speed)
harddrive.jpgflashdrive.jpg