VU+ Duo 2 twin tuners get very hot - how to prevent that?

DavJames

Vu+ Newbie
I have 2 twin tuners installed and even when the fan is on full power it seems to make little difference to the temperate of the tuners. I can touch the back of the tuners and they are very hot. They can burn my finger if I hold it there for several seconds?

Is that normal? I have Blackhole 2.0.8 installed.

Is there any way I can lower the temperature of the tuners? Does anyone know how I can add an extra fan to cool the tuners?

lane525

Vu+ Newbie
could be coax cable developing a fault and resistance becoming to high which will draw extra current, or do you have more than one box connected to lnd and both sending voltage to unit.

DavJames

Vu+ Newbie
"or do you have more than one box connected to lnd and both sending voltage to unit".

I don't know what you mean by that?

I've just had a new dish installed so I don't think it's a problem with the cables.

lane525

Vu+ Newbie
Its easy to check cable with ohm meter just unplug it from box if cables are same length take a reading from centre core to outer copper sheath should be same on both cables if they are diffrent it could be reason. I made a type o in last comment I ment to type LNB not lnd if you have more than one box using a multi lnb they could both be sending voltage to lnb

lane525

Vu+ Newbie
one other posibility some cheep cable is not copper its just copper coated steel which will increase resistance so will a lose fplug at ends of cable if you can pul the cable free from fplug its not thight enough there are diffrent size of cable and fplugs make sure yours are thight fitting and not using cheep copper coated cable.

DavJames

Vu+ Newbie
Everything seems fine. A Sky engineer installed my dish. It just seems to be the normal operation of the box that the tuners get very hot. However I feel that the tuners won't last very long if they're that hot all the time.

el bandido

Vu+ User
How hot are your tuners? Tell us in degrees by using an infrared or other temperature measuring device.
What is hot , very hot, or burning hot will vary between different people. I have several different fta receivers and they all produce some heat at the tuner. Some fta receivers will produce more tuner heat than others, and my Duo2 dual tuners are slightly warmer than a lot of my other receivers.
You can expect a bit more heat when two tuners are combined. Measured at the back of the receiver, my Duo2 dual tuners run around 50-51 degrees Celsius. This temaperature is acceptable to me and is comparable to some of my smaller, micro sized single tuner receivers.

Satseeking

Vu+ Newbie
I am intrigued with the question of Twin Tuner giving off heat, all Tuners do this, some more than others! the answer to the problem is simple, :idea: procure some 25mm heatsinks with some compound, and put them onto the Chip that you can see on each tuner, The tuner can be removed for modification and re-inserted! ;)
Ultimately I do not perceive it to be a real problem without modification! :closedeyes:

DavidV

Vu+ Newbie
I have the same experience with my VU+ DUO2 with two dual tuners installed.
But it is working fine for over a year now and there is no problem what so ever.
I think it is very normal that the tuners produce some heat.
The tuners are very warm but I can still hold my fingers on them without getting burned.
So my conclusion is: Don't worry!!

el bandido

Vu+ User
I have been using a 4 tuner Duo2 for many months now without any heat issues.

Heat means different things to different people.
Somebody that works in a bakery or other hot places will not think something is hot when compared to people that do not work around heated objects.
It is always a good idea to measure the heat good infrared thermometer or other good heat measuring device. Everybody can understand or relate to how hot something is if the heat is being expressed in degrees rather than how hot it feels when touched.

Mick12334

One easy way, to cool your receiver, is to allow extra airflow, underneath, by placing a block, under each corner.
Alternatively you can use an external USB fan:
USB fan.jpg

Your receiver just sits on top of it:
USB fan 2.jpg

Matrix10

Administrator
The temperature of the components depends on the specification of the components.
Components requiring higher current for operation (more power)
the more heated.
Naturally, a good company account with this factor
in production of components.

So I personally do not see a need for concern and especially cooling.
If the tuner works for months now with no problems
It should be a guarantee that the chip and tuner can work without problems at this temperature.

The greater danger for Tuner is static electricity
than the temperature.

DavidV

Vu+ Newbie
The temperature of the components depends on the specification of the components.
Components requiring higher current for operation (more power)
the more heated.
Naturally, a good company account with this factor
in production of components.

So I personally do not see a need for concern and especially cooling.
If the tuner works for months now with no problems
It should be a guarantee that the chip and tuner can work without problems at this temperature.

The greater danger for Tuner is static electricity
than the temperature.
That is why I mentioned that it is working fine for over a year now. So I don't have fear for any damage, because of the heat, at all.