VU+ Solo2 problem or me?

GiZZeRRR

Vu+ Newbie
Hi folks,

yes another newbie who thought setting up a motorised system looked possible on his own ;-)

Ok so I have ... VU+ Solo2, Triax TD110 dish, Quad Black Ultra LNB and TM 2600 motor.

I am having problems with the signal (SNR) on my VU+. I can line up satellites using a signal meter, I turn the gain down just below the signal sound and when I find a sat the needle rises and the sounder sounds. I keep turning it down till I can get the strongest signal possible but when I come back to the house and look at the positioner screen - the SNR is jumping all over the place and won't lock. I have tried this with various sats and they all give me the same erratic SNR. Did I read somewhere this was a bug on some VU+ software??

Anyway I did all the setup as instructed ...put my co-ords in Simple mode, positioner, 003.034 (west) as my actual co-ords are -003.034 (I do have this correct don't I)? and 055.921 North. Tuner A DVB-s2 positioner USALS. Tuner B is set to "second cable of Tuner A" I set the dish roughly South and chose Thor on the receiver before going out to fine tune with meter. As above I get a signal tuned in but the SNR is from 0-100 erratic.

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or have a wrong setting somewhere? I even try to fine tune west and east without luck. Let me know if I need to provide more info. I'm not too worried about getting the thing tracking the sky at the moment, I'd just like to lock down a signal.

Thanks
John

el bandido

Vu+ User
What kind of signal meter are you using? Some of the cheaper signal meters I have used did not work well for me.
I usually take the receiver and a small tv out to the dish so I can immediately see the results when making dish adjustments.

GiZZeRRR

Vu+ Newbie
Yes M8 it is a cheap meter but I've just connected a SkyBox 5s to the dish and it locked on to Thor no problem. The point is that I'm finding the Satellites but the SNR on the VU+ is all over the place and won't lock and now a cheap box has.

el bandido

Vu+ User
SatFinder.jpg SatFinder 8PSK.jpg

Make sure you have entered the transponder information correctly. For me, DVB-S signals are not a problem on transferred channel or transponder lists. But I have found that DVB-S2 will not be recognized by the receiver if the transponder information has been imported.
DVB-S2 settings can also be either QPSK or 8PSK for modulation type.
If you cannot get a lock using a predefined transponder then try entering the transponder information manually. EB

GiZZeRRR

Vu+ Newbie
Just to make sure I'm not missing something....do I need to install a motorised set of settings/bouquets before the VU+ will work properly?

I bought it with Blackhole installed, I thought once I hade it lined up to a satellite I can just download the channel info from there? Maybe I'm in over my head ;-)

GiZZeRRR

Vu+ Newbie
Dish now installed and tracking from 28.2 (thought it was hidden) to 0.8 Thor. Not sure what I was doing wrong....well it wasn't just one thing, I think it was 1st motorised system and also 1st time working with a proper receiver and learning how it all works. I was about to throw the towel in and find an installer though ;) Thanks for the help guys :yahoo: