Win7 network not showing Vu+ box HDD

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, thought I would try this here as not sure of the actual problem area. Lots of Q&A on the net re playing PC files on VU+ but can't find anything about PC not seeing the VU+ box.

I have had the VU+ Duo2 for over a year, running BH, and when I set it up I just used the network wizard and magically the box HDD appeared on my network (via hub and eternet cable) as another HDD. So I can save movies etc on my pc to watch later.

A couple of weeks ago (no changes to anything) the VU+ HDD was not showing, now and again it would reappear then go again. Only noticed when logging on to it.
I checked Kaspersky and not blocking it, Win7 seemed ok, sees other PCs on network but not VU+
VU+ box network check says all is ok on all tests, so it sees the PC network.

Today I restarted the VU+ network and did something else (not sure what thought I was exiting) in the network menus. Now all is well again.

So, finally the main question, is there a set of things to do to either fix this permanently or just make it work when not there. I don't mind retarting network on the VU+ each time I want to see the HDD as only do this once or twice a week.
Just hoping there is a trick to this.
Regards John

Vytenis P.

Vu+ User
I cannot understand your problem - you don't see vu+ from PC, or you don't see PC HDD from vu+ box? Or both? There are the various problems with a various solutions.
Check, which net interface do you use in vu+ box, and if it configured for DHCP, or use static IP address. And the same for PC - you need a static local IP on PC, to cunfigure net shares on Vu+ box.

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for replying, I didn't think anybody knew anything about this.
Basically when I first got the box a couple of years ago (installed BH) I ran the network setup wizard and then looked in windows explorer on my PC and the VU+ HDD showed up as if by magic. SO I could copy things from it to my PC.
Suddenly it disappeared from windows explorer although nothing changed.
If I do a network test on the VU+ it says all ok and can see my PC no problem.
Messing with the VU+, stop/start network, change some setting in network section and it sometimes comes back, not always and no idea why.

Could be Win7 but not sure, VU+ seems ok but no idea how to fix it.

Vytenis P.

Vu+ User
Hi chaerntejohn, did you check your Vu+ IP address? I think, that problem is changed by DHCP IP address of your box - from PC you are connecting to the old IP, but it was changed by DHCP. Network you can reconfigure from Setup menu. It's easy enough to give your VU+ static LAN IP address and you'll find your VU+ STB always on the same address. I can write, how to change it, if you'll try.

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you for your help
This sounds like a possible solution. Sometimes the HDD is visible sometimes not. Maybe this is because sometimes the IP address is the same as windows has, and sometimes it is not.

I will try to make the VU+ box a fixed IP address tomorrow.
Can you explain how to do this please as I am not sure I will be able to do it. I do not know much about networks.
If you can explain what to change I should read this if I can not do it myself.
Anyway it will help others in the future.

If I can make the VU+ IP address fixed I can then try to make windows set up a new network and it should then use the new fixed IP address.
I remember that to fix lost printers on the windows network I set up a new network.
Regards John

Vytenis P.

Vu+ User
If for others :chair: in future..., I'll try to write more exhaustively ;)
First, you must know your network subnet and routers IP address. It's easy. From Start > Search (or Run...) type cmd and pressing 'Enter', run Command prompt; in the Cmd window type ipconfig and press 'Enter'; look to IPv4 Address - this is LAN (or WLAN) address of your computer and Default Gateway is IP address of your router, which distributes your internet and IP addresses for all devices (exept having static IP's) on your local network. The default local IP standard mostly is 192.168.xxx.YYY, where xxx is your subnet, and YYY is your network. If you are "not a hacker" and hate a command prompt :), you can look your PC IP address by pressing 'Status' button in Local Area Connection (or other connection used for internet) Status window (Control panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center - press 'Change adapter settings' and 2x click your active connection). When you know IP of your router, you can open Menu of your VU+ STB, go to Network connecions, select your used connection to configure, set 'Use DHCP' to NO and you will be able to enter IP addresses of your network manualy. Static IP must be in the same subnet, as router (i.e. the first three groups of digits MUST be the same: if router is 192.168.0.1, IP of vu+ must be 192.168.0.YYY). Second problem with a right (unique) static IP (last three digits) - the possible duplication of the same IP in network, given by routers DHCP server for another device. Usually router knows his DHCP poll range and dystributes IP addresses only from this range. But this range you must know too :) The fastest way is to check DHCP poll in routers configs. But not simplest for a network newbies. The simplest way is to lok in any DHCP configured device, what IP it has. If it is e.g. 192.168.1.10, or smaller, at home (or small home office) static addresses can be 192.168.1.60 and higher, but not higher, than 192.168.1.254. If DHCP address, you are looking is 191.168.1.100 and higher, than DHCP poll is 192.168.1.100-254, and static IP MUST be smaller. So, the same 192.168.1.60 decision (and lower in this case) will be good. With the first line we finished! This was the most difficult, which can lead to malfunction of network. Second line Subnet mask fill 255.255.255.0, Gateway - routers IP address 192.168.x.x (where x - are real, but various in all configurations, write your). 1-rst DNS server - repeat the same routers address, second DNS, if you want it, may enter google DNS server 8.8.8.8 After this, save configuration and you can test it right here. Do not be frightened, when you'll see red X on DHCP - this is OK.
(IP of your computer, if it is static, will be useful, when you mount shared resources from your PC - but guide about sharing is writen in HowTo & Guides section)
Good luck :)

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks, a good explanation.
I tried it but still no luck, the first 3 parts of the address were always ok but I changed the last part to see if it helped but no change.
Could be a Win7 problem but microsoft help is useless, so is network setup just goes round in circles.
I am trying Filezilla now, still struggling but hopefully will get there.
I must have just been lucky to have the VU+ HDD show up in win explorer first time. Could be win7 now won't acknowledge Linux systems ?
Thanks for trying, the answer is no doubt here but I have messed with my settings so much now I will need to start again I think.

Vytenis P.

Vu+ User
Your Vu+ has an internet, can to connect to the plugins web sources, and sees resources there? If yes, your settings are OK and you do not need to start again with it ;)
Your Vu+ HDD is formatted fat32, or linux ext file system?
Is working samba server on Vu+? What Vu+ name on the network?
Filezilla is good, but it only for ftp, from win I prefer Total Commander, it connects not only ftp, but windows-like share \\your_VU+_networkname too

chaerntejohn

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for your help, I have finally got Filezilla working and that is all I really need.
Samba etc is on the VU+ but no idea if it is working or not. I really just wanted to copy files and that is all, no working with operating systems etc.
Some Filezilla problems until I found the password trick. It kept saying password error bacause I was using VUSOLO2 as the user but needed to use 'root' with blank password and all ok.
Again thanks for the help and I am sure others will benefit from it, but my problem is solved for now.
Regards John