You are about to flash an eMMC flash, ...

Lyze

Vu+ Newbie
Hi all,

I'm currently trying OpenBlackHole on my VuUno 4k SE. I like the backup tool. I've seen it offers an option to flash a backup back to the box without using a USB Stick. It has a big warning sign however:
Code:
You are about to flash an eMMC flash; we cannot take any responsibility for any errors or damage to your box during this process.
Proceed with CAUTION!
Are you sure you want to flash this image:
{Image Name}

Naturally I haven't tried it. I'm assuming the warning is there for a reason. So I am guessing flashing is only really supported on older Non-ARM boxes, correct? Might proceeding anyway to a nonbootable device that may not even be recovered by USB?

AlexWilMac

It's an absolutely normal advice: I no longer use the backups by USB flashdrives. The warning is normal: in case, it's the traditional USB flash method that does not warns you. Or do you think the flashing process differs if from a USB drive or the Internal HDD or a from a NAS?!? Flashing is flashing.

Lyze

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks a lot. In the meantime I've also done a few flashes without USB drives now. All of them went well. I was just a bit confused, because ofgwrite, which I am guessing OpenBlackHole is using to flash the image, has a big warning regarding VU+ Boxes. But that's probably just as you mentioned: normal risk from flashing
Warning:
Run the program once with -n parameter and check whether mtd partitions
are recognized properly. If not, don't use this tool!!!
On VU+ boxes there is a risk of bricking the box which is afaik not
possible with Xtrend boxes.