Autotimer not working and long delay when deleting movies

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
I have BH 1.6.5 on my Duo and have installed the Autotimer plugin by ritzMo from the softwaremanager (menu>setup). I always get zero on all 4 (matching events, added, modified and conflicts). I have tried different channels and days but always the same result with 4 zeros. Doesn't this pluging work, or am i missing something?

I also have this issue when i have watched a movie, hit stop and from the popup menu select to delete the movie . Deleting the files from the HDD takes between 10 and 15 seconds! The busy spinner is spinning the whole time. How can it take 10 seconds to delete the 4 or 5 files that are associated with the movie from a fast harddisk? This delay is very annoying and suggests to me that there is a problem somewhere. Anyone else have this?

Mito

Administrator
Very probably the plugin you installed has not been tested with last Black Hole image.
To avoid this kind of problems, you should download only plugins by Addons Manager and not by software manager.

If you have many files on your HDD, to delete a movie and to rebuild the movies list can take some seconds.

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
Mito said:
you should download only plugins by Addons Manager and not by software manager

But there is no autotimer in the Addons Manager, at least i can not find it.

Mito said:
If you have many files on your HDD, to delete a movie and to rebuild the movies list can take some seconds

I have about 20 movies on my HDD (which is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 5900 rpm) and if it takes 10 seconds to delete one movie and rebuild the list that is 0.5 seconds per movie. This image must contain some extremely inefficient code. You could almost believe this firmware was developed by Microsoft. :eek:

And now something completely different: Why don't i get any email notifications from this site. I have checked that email is on for this thread, but i get no email when there is a reply. Is something wrong with the forum software?

Mito

Administrator
But there is no autotimer in the Addons Manager, at least i can not find it.
If the plugin is not downloadable by Addons Manager it means it's not has been tested with Black Hole images.
We don't support external plugins, if there is any problem you can go and ask to the plugin's author.

I have about 20 movies on my HDD (which is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 5900 rpm) and if it takes 10 seconds to delete one movie and rebuild the list that is 0.5 seconds per movie. This image must contain some extremely inefficient code. You could almost believe this firmware was developed by Microsoft. :eek:
The Black Hole images are compiled with the best code, but if you dont like it, you can use others images.

And now something completely different: Why don't i get any email notifications from this site. I have checked that email is on for this thread, but i get no email when there is a reply. Is something wrong with the forum software?
We will check it.

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
Mito said:
The Black Hole images are compiled with the best code, but if you dont like it, you can use others images.

I am sure it contains the very best code available. And i am not really complaining about the BH image which i like. Good job! But just out of curiosity, where do you think this absurd delay originates? Is it in Enigma2 code and therefore can be expected to be more or less the same in all images, or is it in BH specific code and might therefore be totally different i another image?

I actually found two emails in the junk email folder. I think the problem is your sender email address that is nobody@nobody.net, which Outlook interprets as junk mail. You should change this.

Mito

Administrator
I am sure it contains the very best code available. And i am not really complaining about the BH image which i like. Good job! But just out of curiosity, where do you think this absurd delay originates? Is it in Enigma2 code and therefore can be expected to be more or less the same in all images, or is it in BH specific code and might therefore be totally different i another image?

I actually found two emails in the junk email folder. I think the problem is your sender email address that is nobody@nobody.net, which Outlook interprets as junk mail. You should change this.

The time taken to do it, doesn't depend on BH image.

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
OK Mito, thanks.

I must say i am increasingly unimpressed by Enigma2. High time for Enigma3, or something else. Are there any alternatives to firmware based on Enigma2 for the Vu+ Duo?

Tamaki

Administrator
I have BH 1.6.5 on my Duo and have installed the Autotimer plugin by ritzMo from the softwaremanager (menu>setup). I always get zero on all 4 (matching events, added, modified and conflicts). I have tried different channels and days but always the same result with 4 zeros. Doesn't this pluging work, or am i missing something?

I also have this issue when i have watched a movie, hit stop and from the popup menu select to delete the movie . Deleting the files from the HDD takes between 10 and 15 seconds! The busy spinner is spinning the whole time. How can it take 10 seconds to delete the 4 or 5 files that are associated with the movie from a fast harddisk? This delay is very annoying and suggests to me that there is a problem somewhere. Anyone else have this?
In my case in doesn't take so much to delete, it takes just 1 or 2 seconds.
That is very strange.
There should be something wrong with your img.
Do you have the same problem also with a clean img.
Maybe you have some plug that make delete time increase.

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
Tamaki said:
In my case in doesn't take so much to delete, it takes just 1 or 2 seconds.
That is very strange.

Yes, I agree. I recorded three 5 minute snaps from one of the HD channels and made some tests:

1. While watching, press STOP, then select "Yes, and delete this movie" from popup menu.
2. While watching, press PAUSE, then press STOP, then select "Yes, and delete this movie" from popup menu.
3. Press menu in Movielist and select delete from the menu.

All these take maybe 1 - 2 seconds. No strange behavior at all. :confused:

But i have the long delete times when i watch a full movie and at the end of it do as in 1 above. I am beginning to wonder if the delete time depends on the length of the movie (size of the file). Will make some tests and report back.

Tamaki

Administrator
Yes, I agree. I recorded three 5 minute snaps from one of the HD channels and made some tests:

1. While watching, press STOP, then select "Yes, and delete this movie" from popup menu.
2. While watching, press PAUSE, then press STOP, then select "Yes, and delete this movie" from popup menu.

All these take maybe 1 - 2 seconds. No strange behavior at all. :confused:

But i have the long delete times when i watch a full movie and at the end of it do as in 1 above. I am beginning to wonder if the delete time depends on the length of the movie (size of the file). Will make some tests and report back.
In my experience it takes some seconds only if hdd has to wake up.

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
This time I recorded three 2 hour snaps from one of the HD channels and made the same tests as for the 5 min snaps earlier:

Results:

Test 1. When i hit STOP the movie is not actually stopped at all. I get a menu asking me what to do and i select "Yes, and delete this movie" while the movie continues to play in the background (which in itself is not how I would have designed it). I get the question if i want to delete the film and answer yes. What happens now is this: The film continues to play for about 5 seconds, The film freezes and the spinner comes on and spins for about 15 seconds, then the frozen movie frame disappears and after about 2 seconds I get the last active TV-channel on screen. Total delete time equals 22 seconds. Great!

Test 2. Same as test 1 except the initial part where the film continues to play for 5 secs instead is a delay with frozen movie for about 3 sec. The rest is the same.

Test 3. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to delete the movie and display the film list.

Interesting is that tests 1 & 2 show that the delay is much longer with 2 hours recorded than 5 minutes. Delete time is dependent on movie length! How weird is that?

Tamaki said:
In my experience it takes some seconds only if hdd has to wake up.

But my HDD is already running. No spinup time!

What the f..k is going on?
Anybody else have this very strange behavior?

Tamaki

Administrator
This time I recorded three 2 hour snaps from one of the HD channels and made the same tests as for the 5 min snaps earlier:

Results:

Test 1. When i hit STOP the movie is not actually stopped at all. I get a menu asking me what to do and i select "Yes, and delete this movie" while the movie continues to play in the background (which in itself is not how I would have designed it). I get the question if i want to delete the film and answer yes. What happens now is this: The film continues to play for about 5 seconds, The film freezes and the spinner comes on and spins for about 15 seconds, then the frozen movie frame disappears and after about 2 seconds I get the last active TV-channel on screen. Total delete time equals 22 seconds. Great!

Test 2. Same as test 1 except the initial part where the film continues to play for 5 secs instead is a delay with frozen movie for about 3 sec. The rest is the same.

Test 3. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to delete the movie and display the film list.

Interesting is that tests 1 & 2 show that the delay is much longer with 2 hours recorded than 5 minutes. Delete time is dependent on movie length! How weird is that?

But my HDD is already running. No spinup time!

What the f..k is going on?
Anybody else have this very strange behavior?
This is really strange, i don't remember if i already asked you, but is your img clean or do you have the same situation even on a new flashed img?
Maybe it could be a plug that makes your box have this behavior.

ruffa

Vu+ Newbie
No, my image is not clean. I have Multiquickbutton, Electro power saver (or whatever it is called) and maybe one other plug installed. Don't have time to reinstall BH 1.6.5 right now. I think I will try ViX 2.3 when it is released. If i am not happy with that I will come back to BH, which works well apart from this and some other minor issues. If so, I will try to get to the bottom with this extremely annoying problem.

Thanks for your input Tamaki.