EPG?CROSSEPG USAGE

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
Thank @Eragon and @Matrix10 for the explaination in details. With the help from both of you and other mumbes such as @yummer...., I think I have much better undestandiing for the EPG and CrossEPG and their management. I trust many users as me will get benifits from all of your kind helps. Thanks again.

endy123

Vu+ Newbie
Hello, I have EPG related question too:
You mentioned the EPG is in RAM - that's ok.
But, is it possible to have EPG cached to some file, so after reboot/restart the EPG is immediatelly on without need of switching through channels?
I do have set the option of BH EPG location of file to /media/usb/epg.dat to mounted usb flash drive (having enough space left for file :) ).
But there is no file created. When should the file be created?
Thanks for your info!!!

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
But, is it possible to have EPG cached to some file, so after reboot/restart the EPG is immediatelly on without need of switching through channels?
Full rebooting my Duo2 doesn't clear downloaded BH EPG data but only the EIT (Event Information Table) EPG, i.e. the extra data that are broadcast along with a television signal and appear as the current & next program info (2-events only description).

DavJames

Vu+ Newbie
You can't have CrossEPG and OpenTV "installed" just because CrossEPG is a plugin/extension (i.e. a kind of application) that can be "installed", while OpenTV is a standard EPG data download protocol, not an application itself.
Therefore, CrossEPG can use OpenTV protocol to get EPG data from a broadcaster.

What you are missing is that Black Hole has 2 different preinstalled "applications" that manage EPG Data (indeed there are others too that can be installed): BH EPG and CrossEPG. They are used in different places of BH (i.e. Channel list and Graphical EPG).

Both can use OpenTV to download EPG data.
They can share the EPG database, so it's not necessary to set up both to download the same OpenTv source.

I've setup both OpenTV EPG and CrossEPG. Is there any harm in doing that or should I just use one or the other? I'm using Cool TV Guide as my EPG.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
If CoolTV has its own configuration settings and you no longer use CrossEPG, then you can disable all its EPG downloads, scripts and scheduling.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
I don't know about CoolTV as I don't use it.
I can only suppose that EPG data could be downloaded through CoolTV's own dedicated functions, or CoolTV might rely on BH EPG data availability (configuration and download).
Unfortunately I can't help you more.:(

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
According to my understanding, cool TV guide just uses the epgdata which has been download. The configure file of cool tv guide is to set how to display the epg information. I set CrossEPG downloads epgdata by opentv resource. The cool tv guide is function well.

Da_Matser

Vu+ Newbie
Wow! A masterclass on how not to answer a simple question! :wallbash:
Like you, DavJames, I have been beaten into submission and will simply use both...

Da_Matser

Vu+ Newbie
Through trial & error it appears that only CrossEPG will download data for terrestrial and some other channels. On the other hand, BH EPG offers more comprehensive synopses.
Therefore, I have scheduled daily updates with CrossEPG first to give the broadest coverage of channels, then BH EPG shortly afterwards to overwrite many of the channels with more comprehensive descriptions.