Hi Newbee needs help.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Good morning/afternoon.

I am new to the world of satellite install, but I am very good with tech and computers. I have purchased a Vu + Duo 2 and a motorised dish set up. Twin Tuner (2 x DVBS2)
1m Superior Motorised Dish Pack Dark Motor 500mm Mount Cable LNB 100cm"
LNB Upgrade Quad Titanium. I have set the dish up and I am now tuned into Thor satellite. I have not flashed the receiver yet.

The installation manual that I got with the receiver was pants. It tells me nothing about setting up a motorised dish. The manual has nothing about any settings at all. Nothing about the different menus and what they are for. Very poor instructions.

Can anyone help me set up the rest of the dish. I need to be able to move the dish from the receiver to pick up the other satellites, to see if I have my arc right.

Thanks

Mick12334

Has the dish/motor already been aligned, and set up to track the satellite arc?
To find your correct latitude, and longitude, you could try dishpointer.com, remember negative longitude readings = West, positive = East.
Your longitude reading also provides you with your True South satellite position, to help set up a motorized dish.
If you have set the dish/motor up yourself you need to follow a few basic rules:
Ensure your pole is absolutely plumb, and solid enough to support the weight of the dish/motor and any weather influene, strong winds, etc..
First have your motor, and dish, set to zero, with no skew (rotation) on your LNB.
Next insert your latitude, and longitude, into your receiver, and use your receiver to send the dish to the satellite youi want to use to align it, most people choose a strong satellite close to their True South position.
Once done physically move, and adjust, your dish to get the strongest signal possible, on the chosen satellite.
Once done tighten everything and check all satellites, using your receiver, to drive the motor.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Mick,

Yes I set the dish up with longitude and latitude from a phone app and set the dish to true south. Found Thor satellite with a Sat finder meter and fine tuned with the meter. Pole is bang on vertical.

The sat is tuned to thor with a great picture. How do I put my longitude and altitude into my receiver. What menu is it under? what do I do after that?

Cheers

fairsats

Vu+ User
Hi Mick,

Yes I set the dish up with longitude and latitude from a phone app and set the dish to true south. Found Thor satellite with a Sat finder meter and fine tuned with the meter. Pole is bang on vertical.

The sat is tuned to thor with a great picture. How do I put my longitude and altitude into my receiver. What menu is it under? what do I do after that?

Cheers

Menu/setup/Service Searching/tuner config/Tuner/Usals simple /East/West

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Hi peeps,

Nightmare day number 2, had a Satellite installer come round and he has made things worse. I now have no channels. Can anyone please recommend a decent satellite finder. £50 -£100 in cost.

I am not going through 2 hours of pain again. Very poor service.

The problem is setting the satellite at the start to true south. The last installer set the hole satellite dish to thor, instead of zeroing it to true south first. So when we scanned for other satellites it just went past them. (this is what I think anyway) As when we set the satellite to 0 from the receiver we got Thor.

This is doing me head in now. I want a sat finder because if I have any problems in the future, I can fix the system myself. Sat finder must be able to tell me which sat I am pointing at and maybe which position is true south.

Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.......
:welcome:,,,,2 BH Fun Club!

fairsats

Vu+ User
With your motor set to Zero and the dish in line.
Your installer started correctly....setup a strong signal on Thor 0.8 West.....gently manually move the dish slightly to the East until the signal starts to weaken...you are then set to due South (or near enough.)....tighten the motor bolts to yur mast.
Check your declination and inclination angles and tighten dish bolts.
Set up your coordination East/West....North/South.....should work....thats the way I did it...I found no need for a Sat mteer..

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
With your motor set to Zero and the dish in line.
Your installer started correctly....setup a strong signal on Thor 0.8 West.....gently manually move the dish slightly to the East until the signal starts to weaken...you are then set to due South (or near enough.)....tighten the motor bolts to yur mast.
Check your declination and inclination angles and tighten dish bolts.
Set up your coordination East/West....North/South.....should work....thats the way I did it...I found no need for a Sat mteer..

Hi,

Unfortunately the installer was really bad, I was telling him what to do. 2 hours, to be worse of than I was when I started. He moved all the original pitch etc and now it is no where near. Not happy at all.

The compass I was using on my phone to get true south was out so the SAT finder picked up another satellite.

Cheers

fairsats

Vu+ User
Start from scratch and carry out procedure as I previously posted.

What is your post code,and I will check your coordinates?

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Yeah that was the plan start all again. I'm going to take the dish of check plum and start all again.

CA288LW

Cheers

Mick12334

If using USALS you don't need to guess at True South.
True South isd your Longitude position, thus your receiver will do the work for you, as I posted.
If you have a 36 V motor, and unable to use USALS, then you can estimate your true south, as I have to.
Your installer was probably more experienced with Sky, than motorized systems, as are many installers, due to the demand.
Dishpointer has your postcode as Latitude 54.5 Longitude -3.56, but there are usually slight variations, which can be adjusted.
Any cheap satellite meter will do, I use one that cost me less than £6.
Using sites, like dishpointer, or various apps, will help you point the dish in the correct direction and the meter will aid you to get the strongest signal.
When you have first set it up you should get all the satellites, on the arc, but not the strongest signal, on all satellites, to get that requires a little time, and patience, as you gently adjust your motor, and dish, settings. Just remember to send it back to the satellite you aligned it to, before making the fine adjustments, you could use 0.8W or 5W.
If you paid the installer then call them back, as they haven't done the job you paid for, or ask them for your money back.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Mick,

Hi Mick,

I have tuned the satellite dish to Thor now. Using a Sat link meter that I borrowed. How do I save this setting, just save it as position one, in the positioner. How do I get my dish to point at other satellites now using usals?

I have now flashed with black hole software. What I am wanting to do is to save certain satellites to the receiver, so I can flick between them with motorised dish.

I can’t seem to find the Astra (sky) for some reason.

Cheers

Mick12334

Using USALS you don't need to save the satellite, you only need to do that using Diseqc 1.2, where you manually move the dish, then store the satellite, by position, 1, 2 , 3 etc.. which are assigned to a satellite.
All you need to do is set up, or load, some bouquets, which are similar to favourites, so you scan in the channels, for a satellite, set up a bouquet, and name it, like Films 28.2E, or just one for all your favourites, on 28.2E, then add the channels to that bouquet. Once you select a channel, on that satellite, the dish should move there automatically, the same happens with Diseqc 1.2, once set up.

If you want to manually store the satellites just go into the menu and select the following:
Setup
Service Searching
Positioner Setup
Select Tune and press the red button, on your remote. Enter the details, of the satellite, and channel, Satellite, system, frequency, symbol rate, polarization, etc..., press OK, then move on to Positioner Movement, look at the bottom of the screen and use the red, green, yellow, or blue button to find the satellite, and channel, once found use the fine tuning option then store the satellite.

You might want to use sites like lyngsat.com and add all the satellites, and channels, you want, going East, from 0.8W, you might want to add 5E, 7E, 9E, 10E, 13E, 16E, 19.2E, 23.5E, 28.2E, 39E, and 42E. Then check the Westerly satellites.

Mick12334

Forgot to mention you can go into the Tuner menu, to set the satellites, to the stored position, by setting it to advanced.
Menu
Setup
Service Searching
Tuner Configuration
Use the arrow button to select the advanced option.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Morning,

Still having problems with the motorised dish. I started it all again, checked the dish for level. Set the dish to thor 0.9 west with the sat finder. Moved the disk back 0.9 on the pole to make sure that I am point at true south. I can tune all the channels in for thor. Great signal. When I send the satellite dish anywhere else it does not find the satellites.

What am I doing wrong? I don't think I am on the right arc. Everything seems to be in the right position and level. Trying to find 28 east for sky.

Cheers