how to add an external usb hardrive

mebken

Vu+ User
I think the system did not recognize your external HDD since there is only sda and sdb in your /dev directory (sda is your usb and sdb is your internal HDD). try another usb in the usb slot used for your external HDD if it works it means that your external HDD need more power or the system used for your partitions in external HDD is not recognized.

Børge Antonsen

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks again.

I have now tested to put the external HDD in the front USB, and it is found by the box as sdc1 :suda:

One step closer, but I prefere to use it in the rear USB... Why is it not found when connected to the lower rear USB? Can the USB port be broken? In the upper USB I have the USB pen, used as a swap and to store EPG data. It is not space enough to connect anything but a cable to the lower USB, and I am affraid to disconnect the pen... I think I need a USB extention cable to test the port with another pen (wich I have but cant find), or can I safely dissconect my USB pen?

Just power off the box and change it, nothing will happen.
It can change its device name but will still be mounted as /media/usb

Børge Antonsen

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks again.

I have to wait until later to reboot, the box is busy right now, recording some favourite show :)

I will come back with the results.

Børge Antonsen

Vu+ Newbie
Finaly I got it to work :)

I did shut down the box, swapt the USB pen to the lower port, connected the external disk to the upper, and booted. The disk came up in device manager, and I was able to mount it.

When I plugged the pen in the lower USB port, the cable was easy to fit in the upper port. The other way around it was a tight fit. I can imagine the cable had not been 100% incerted or bendt in a way to make a bad connection.

The only thing I see is that the internal HDD is still mountet in two places, hdd and hdd2. Can I umount the hdd2 without messing up anything?

Thanks a lot folks for helping me :notworthy:

mebken

Vu+ User
Finaly I got it to work :)

I did shut down the box, swapt the USB pen to the lower port, connected the external disk to the upper, and booted. The disk came up in device manager, and I was able to mount it.

When I plugged the pen in the lower USB port, the cable was easy to fit in the upper port. The other way around it was a tight fit. I can imagine the cable had not been 100% incerted or bendt in a way to make a bad connection.

The only thing I see is that the internal HDD is still mountet in two places, hdd and hdd2. Can I umount the hdd2 without messing up anything?

Thanks a lot folks for helping me :notworthy:

in case the device panel did not give you the /media/hdd2 in the mountpoints, Try this command in telnet:
umount /media/hdd2

check with this command: ls /media/hdd2 it shoud give no files.