Ram Size Increasing when Recording to Hard Drive

malcolm159

Vu+ Newbie
Hi every one,

As the title says ram is normally at around 13 % but when I recorded to the hard drive the ram increases slowly up to around 95 %. A hard reset puts it back to around 13 % and stays there till I use the record to hard drive again. Hard drive is western digital 1tb notebook 5400 spin speed , selected this speed as I have just updated from duo to duo2 and in that box the preferred speed was 5400. Using latest image 2.1.4 , any help would be welcome .

Regards Malcolm

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Why are you worried about RAM usage?
The RAM is there just to be used when the OS needs it.;)

If conversely you have problems using your box when the RAM has almost been filled, then you might start to worry...

malcolm159

Vu+ Newbie
Why are you worried about RAM usage?
The RAM is there just to be used when the OS needs it.;)

If conversely you have problems using your box when the RAM has almost been filled, then you might start to worry...
Because when i had the duo the ram was always up at the top end and left nothing to spare started to have swop files etc . so if the os uses it then when its not recording if should then return to the lower amount but it stays at 95 % so whats using it.
Regards Malcolm

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
But the Duo2 is a bit different from the Duo, and it needs no swap file as it has a lot of available RAM (2048 MB vs. 384 MB)

Caching as much as possible into all the available RAM is the correct approach for a modern OS: it's silly to leave spare RAM doing nothing.
Of course the RAM used for caching should be discarded and released by the OS when required for other uses.

malcolm159

Vu+ Newbie
But the Duo2 is a bit different from the Duo, and it needs no swap file as it has a lot of available RAM (2048 MB vs. 384 MB)

Caching as much as possible into all the available RAM is the correct approach for a modern OS: it's silly to leave spare RAM doing nothing.
Of course the RAM used for caching should be discarded and released by the OS when required for other uses.
Hi thanks for info so now i'm not recording, so whats holding it up has anyone else checked their ram while recording does theirs go up and stay up or does it go back down to around 13 %
Regards Malcolm

bob

Vu+ Newbie
I tried this on my duo2 and within 20 minutes of recording the ram went to 97% and stopped there even after the recording had stopped.
I never looked before but never used a swap on my duo either.

malcolm159

Vu+ Newbie
97% RAM usage is a common finding among Duo2 owners.
Hi that's fine if its common on a duo 2 but why does the duo2 sit at around 13% ram for days on end as long as its not recording and then while and after its done recording does it go to 95 - 97 % ram and stay like that till you do a hard reset then goes back to 13 % ram till you recorded again.
Regards Malcolm

malcolm159

Vu+ Newbie
Hi does anyone know the answer to all above questions, while the duo2 will do every thing you can throw at it bar make a cup of tea using 13 % of ram but requires up to 97 % of ram to record a program and when the recording has stopped the ram stays at the high 97 % .Please note the ram does not go straight to 97 % if you record for say ten minutes it increases to around 50 % and stops at that level only a hard reset will get it back to the lower level of 13 %. Seems strange to me that only a hard reset will set the ram back to the 13 % where it will still do every thing you can throw at it till its time to record.
Regards Malcolm

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
You look a little bit anxious...:)

As stated before, this is a common finding for the Duo2 and there is nothing to worry about.
Enjoy your Duo2 and don't continuously waste your time monitoring the RAM usage...;)

malcolm159

Vu+ Newbie

Hi found the answer tried another img and the ram increases when recording but goes back down to normal when recording has stopped without a hard reset, is there bug in this software.
Regards Malcolm

ehsan0111

Vu+ Newbie
Hi
my problem is so like malcolm... my box is dou2
when record channel on internal hdd the usage of ram gose up 97% and me restart dou 2 box and gose back in 13% .my hdd is western 64 buffer.and every 5min the blue icon in the left and up on tv start and remote not work
and me wait
the blue icon is gone until is work please help...

Last edited:

yoyopfk

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,
Have same issues as ehsan0111 .

All working fine , then blue iconis showing up at left top corner and can't operate at ull until it goes. Sometimes is shows for a few seconds , sometimes for a minutes ( 10minutes + ) .

Have no such issues on earlier Black Hole builds.

Can you help?

Thanks