Usals Motor Problem.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Hi,
I have very strange problem.....

Duo 2 unit 3 months old...... with brand new motor (Usals)

All set up using Usals and tracking the arc no problem 30 west very good... and 45 East very good and most of the intermediate sats available.

Thats the good news....now

Working fine for sats between 30 west and 28.2 East....now when I select a channel on a sat above 28.2 East ..say 42 east the motor revolves to that position and receives a vg channel signal...
but when I then select say 28.2 East again ..the dish seeems to lock and will not move back neither will it for 19,13,10 East, etc
The only way to get moving again is by selecting go to "0 " in sat pos menu.
Then everthing works fine again from there until I go past 28.2 East.
Tried flashing other images...still the same,all cables and cons renewed.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Thanks guys...due to the complexity of the problem, to be honest I did not expect a reply...keep up the good work..:thanks:

fairsats

Vu+ User
What kind of motor do you have? Is this the Darkmotor? What procedure(s) have you used to reset the motor?

1. Cut off power disconnect coaxial cable
held e/w buttns for 5 secs
reconnect cable.

2.hold e/w buttond for 5 secs

3.execute command go to 0
disconnect power
reconnect power
execute the command shift 0

el bandido

Vu+ User
OK.
So your arc is 30W to 45E. Where is the center of your arc or the satellite that is due South?
If I understand correctly, your motor does not have any problem moving to 30W or from 30W. Also, you have no problem moving to 45E. The problem seems to be when you want to move back from 45E and that is why it might help to know which satellite is the center or due South satellite.

The motor is supposed to be at the highest point when it is at center or due South. either direction from center should be downhill. So moving back from 45E would be uphill. Is it possible that the dish motor does not have enough energy to pull back up the hill? i have had problems similar to yours where the motor would go to the far end of travel East or West, and then the motor/dish would not want to go back (uphill). I am using a 1.2 meter dish which is about the largest size for most ku motors. I found that if I selected a channel with a horizontal transponder then the motor would move or go back uphill easier. A horizontal transponder will send a few more volts out to the motor and this gives the motor a bit more energy.

Try moving out to 45E, then select a channel with a horizontal transponder and see if the motor will return. You do not mention having any problems out to about 28E, so the problem seems to be a lack of energy to move the motor uphill. I am not 100% sure, but I think the receiver uses the higher horizontal voltage when the Goto 0 command is sent.

fairsats

Vu+ User
OK.
So your arc is 30W to 45E. Where is the center of your arc or the satellite that is due South?
If I understand correctly, your motor does not have any problem moving to 30W or from 30W. Also, you have no problem moving to 45E. The problem seems to be when you want to move back from 45E and that is why it might help to know which satellite is the center or due South satellite.

The motor is supposed to be at the highest point when it is at center or due South. either direction from center should be downhill. So moving back from 45E would be uphill. Is it possible that the dish motor does not have enough energy to pull back up the hill? i have had problems similar to yours where the motor would go to the far end of travel East or West, and then the motor/dish would not want to go back (uphill). I am using a 1.2 meter dish which is about the largest size for most ku motors. I found that if I selected a channel with a horizontal transponder then the motor would move or go back uphill easier. A horizontal transponder will send a few more volts out to the motor and this gives the motor a bit more energy.

Try moving out to 45E, then select a channel with a horizontal transponder and see if the motor will return. You do not mention having any problems out to about 28E, so the problem seems to be a lack of energy to move the motor uphill. I am not 100% sure, but I think the receiver uses the higher horizontal voltage when the Goto 0 command is sent.

many thanks for your reply.....

my lon = 3.54 West
my lat = 54.4 North

set up inclination angle,declination angle and entered lon/lat in receiver.
Selected Thor .8 west turned mounting until I got the best signal then secured dish at this.
(This method as worked ok for the past 4 years on several Dreambox Units) until I had to replace motor with a similar model last week.
I have tried selecting v and h but the only way to get the motor moving again is by go to 0
Strange as it will move both ways from 30w - 28e

By the way I can move from any position by the manual buttons on the motor.

el bandido

Vu+ User
Can you remove the dish from the motor and see if the motor will move correctly without the dish installed?

Can you set up a satellite past 45E, maybe around 55E and see if the motor will move to and back from that satellite?

The Alsat Supreme Darkmotor looks to be very good and I was thinking of buying one if it would fit my 1.2 meter dish. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the diameter of the motor tube. This in formation is not in any literature that I have seen.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Can you remove the dish from the motor and see if the motor will move correctly without the dish installed?

Can you set up a satellite past 45E, maybe around 55E and see if the motor will move to and back from that satellite?

The Alsat Supreme Darkmotor looks to be very good and I was thinking of buying one if it would fit my 1.2 meter dish. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the diameter of the motor tube. This in formation is not in any literature that I have seen.

Thanks
I will check motor tube in the morning,and advise.

Will have good go when weather improves...no real hurry as not much to gain past 28.2 E any way.

el bandido

Vu+ User
Please measure the motor tube that the dish mounts on. I would really like to know the diameter of it. Thanks.

fairsats

Vu+ User

Not go back from 45,52e either....the furthest East will go back from is 39.2 Bulsatcom

el bandido

Vu+ User
My Duo2 is controlling 2 dish positioners and one DG380 Ku motor. The center of the arc for me is 85W, and I do not have any receiver problems driving the Ku motor to and from 15W.

The only other things I would know to test are the motor without the dish installed, and setting up a satellite at about 50W or higher to see if the problem exists in that direction too.

fairsats

Vu+ User
My Duo2 is controlling 2 dish positioners and one DG380 Ku motor. The center of the arc for me is 85W, and I do not have any receiver problems driving the Ku motor to and from 15W.

The only other things I would know to test are the motor without the dish installed, and setting up a satellite at about 50W or higher to see if the problem exists in that direction too.

Comes back from 45W ok.....

el bandido

Vu+ User
Lat. = 3.5W
45-3 =42 (45W)
39+3 =42 (39E)

My math shows 45W and 39E to be the same distance from center. 45E Would be about 48 degrees from center. On the West side, you will need to be at 51W or above in order to be the same distance from center as 45E. So try a satellite at 50W or higher and see if the motor will move back and forth from it. It might be a good idea to try at 61W too. IMO, The more information that you can give the motor supplier, the easier it will be to get a replacement.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Lat. = 3.5W
45-3 =42 (45W)
39+3 =42 (39E)

My math shows 45W and 39E to be the same distance from center. 45E Would be about 48 degrees from center. On the West side, you will need to be at 51W or above in order to be the same distance from center as 45E. So try a satellite at 50W or higher and see if the motor will move back and forth from it. It might be a good idea to try at 61W too. IMO, The more information that you can give the motor supplier, the easier it will be to get a replacement.

Cheers...Will not come back from position 61W....

el bandido

Vu+ User
The only thing left is to remove the dish and see what happens. I know you will do that when time/weather permits. Please let us know what the motor supplier says about this problem.