Announcements All about PrismCube

Status
Not open for further replies.

bokkie

Vu+ Newbie
As much as I'd love to buy this little beauty, I've seen no mention of transcoding support for the prism cube.
Having made great use of this since I got my solo2, I now see this as essential for any new stb.

shad

Vu+ Newbie
Hello,

I'm new here, but I was watching this and other similar threads as I'm interested in the PrismCube.

The statement about being "official member of xbmc" was definitely on the prismcube website in the right column of the initial text. When the guy from xbmc said he is going to email marusys about it, I was watching it explicitely and this statement disappeared a few days later.

I'm somewhat worried about it, because this would mean marusys and xbmc do not work together, which would be bad in my opinion...

I'm wondering how this will be... How much will the prismcube-project have to do with the xbmc-community, if there will be any alternative images, who will be doing support etc.

As far as I understand, xbmc-sources had to be ported for the ARM architecture, which marusys has done. This would mean, that we won't be able to benefit from any new things / changes in xmbc as long as marusys don't port the changes again. This would mean we would depend on one manufacturer without of any benefits of vu+ communities etc.

I only by accident have noticed, that marusys itself has own receiver as well. I've never heard of them - not in a single forum I'm in... Not a good sign in my opinion...

Shiro

BH-C
I think there is a little bit confusion.
Xbmc is Xbmc and Marusys is Marusys.
Marusys and Xbmc are different and separate developers.
Marusys develop the pvr part and the hardware-depend part. It is like an addon.
I think Marusys will arrange their work like an addon to be compatible with all Xbmc updates.
But it is an addon no an Xbmc core part.
For this reason they don't need to work with Xbmc developers.

The port of Xbmc under Arm achiteture is only a cross-compiling work.
Nothing special. Xbmc is open source and can be ported in many architetures.
And we hope it will be ported on mipsel too with the new generation of broadcom chipsets.

shad

Vu+ Newbie
Then several parts on the prismcube website are confusing:

XBMC is generally using for media center or entertainment hub with digital media, and is supported by various groups of independent volunteers from all over the world.

Without a cooperation with xbmc this wouldn't be the case

Great thing about PRISMCUBE is that there are always group of engineers who are working joyfully to improve the skins of XBMC UI. You will never be fed up with the skin as you will have an access to download variety of newer ones. The currently available XBMC skins are aeon nox, confluence, transparency and so on. PRISMCUBE has a plan to encorporate those various skins available with the help of XBMC community.

This one sounds better though, although I believe it got rephrased lately, because before there was a statement, that several skins developed by xbmc developers are available.

If both don't need to work together and won't do it, then my concerns become even more valid for, because I've only head about marusys as a company, which builds receivers for many others (VU+, Kathrein, ...). Never heard about their own products and communities, so I have my doubts about the success of the Prismcube, but we will see...

Palinkat

Vu+ User
Hey guys, I thought the CPU was arm based, see below from the official website spec:
CPU: PNX8496-1250DMIPS

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Shiro

BH-C
Hey guys, I thought the CPU was arm based, see below from the official website spec:
CPU: PNX8496-1250DMIPS
Am I missing something here?
Thanks

Dmips don't means a mipsel machine. It is a measure of performance
DMIPS stand for: Dhrystone MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second)
Dhrystone is a synthetic computing benchmark program developed in 1984 by Reinhold P. Weicker

Palinkat

Vu+ User
Dmips don't means a mipsel machine. It is a measure of performance
DMIPS stand for: Dhrystone MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second)
Dhrystone is a synthetic computing benchmark program developed in 1984 by Reinhold P. Weicker

Thanks a lot Shiro, pardon my ignorance :).

Don Andres

BH Lover
Yes it is Arm cpu: ARM Cortex A9
Thanks Shiro for the info.
There are few other ARM Cortex A9 based receivers , wich are running Dual Boot ( E2 + Android 2.3)
Do you think PrismCube is capable to run additionally Android as well ?

NickZ

Vu+ User
ARM Cortex A9 can be single core or multicore. What is it in the Cube? ARM Development Studio 5 (DS-5) supports both Linux and Android and I hope there will be developers of the Cube soon.

noch78

Vu+ Newbie
Is it possible to replace the DVB-S tuner by a DVB-C/T ?
I'm very interesting by the prismcube, but I need a DVB-C/T twintuner.

zoro25

Vu+ Newbie
Dear members.
we had today nice news.

The price of PrismCube should be lower than solo2
and maybe PrismCube will be availale in the next 2 months.

If this is indeed an announcement then I'm confused about the words "Should" and "Maybe"

From the above it all sounds like guesswork with lots of uncertainty around the details and not a lot like an "announcement".

From watching VU+ form the sidelines I have to say that the one thing the company is not very good with is details. Everything is kept very fluffy. I can only hope that this would be to prevent competitors from counter launching earlier, However their only real competitor is Dream and they are a long way off with Goliath.

Actually the biggest competitor for PrismCube is VU+ and Duo2 which at the moment is looking like my next box (once I get some "details")

also lastly can someone please clear up one last confusion. On this board I hear lots of people talking about Marusys owning VU+ which is strange as I had always thought that Ceru Trading was the owner of the VU+ brand.

Thanks in advance.

Matrix10

Administrator
I do not know how it is important for us users
who owns it.
I personally do not mind.
What is important here is that we will soon have two good receivers
one of them brings something new.

Now I think fabrikant not know exact date of sale
how do you expect we know the exact date.

All in all boxes coming soon and it is not in doubt.

Shiro

BH-C
If this is indeed an announcement then I'm confused about the words "Should" and "Maybe"
also lastly can someone please clear up one last confusion. On this board I hear lots of people talking about Marusys owning VU+ which is strange as I had always thought that Ceru Trading was the owner of the VU+ brand.
Thanks in advance.

zoro, the Prismcube is work in progress, there should be many things that can slow down the release date.
But someone asked if this means months or years and the reply is that the develop is at final stage. So should be few months.

But you want official and certain answers so you have to ask to Marusys for Prismcube and to Vu+ about the terms between Vu+ and Marusys.
So you have to ask at official sites and not here.
Code:
http://prismcube.com/ruby
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vu/158401650880065

zoro25

Vu+ Newbie
zoro, the Prismcube is work in progress, there should be many things that can slow down the release date.
But someone asked if this means months or years and the reply is that the develop is at final stage. So should be few months.

But you want official and certain answers so you have to ask to Marusys for Prismcube and to Vu+ about the terms between Vu+ and Marusys.
So you have to ask at official sites and not here.
Code:
http://prismcube.com/ruby
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vu/158401650880065

Sorry guys ,

My bad. I actually thought this was an official forum.
Sorry for my earlier post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.