Can i clone my hd to a usb external drive?

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Think i may have found the problem with this. On blackhole theres a file called boot. On this ive got 5 files but none are boot files. Is there a file missing or does this work differently. If the files ok then im going to have to go buy yet another flash drive which seems mad considering i already have 4

AlexWilMac

You need just to unzip the installation file: you'll get a folder named vuplus.
In this folder you'll have another folder (an no files) named duo.
Finally, into this duo folder you must have only these files:

imageversion
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
reboot.update
root_cfe_auto.jffs2
splash_cfe_auto.bin

So, if the flash drive is compatible, disconnect EVERY cables of whatever kind (apart from HDMI, of course) and try.
Try every usb ports.
The procedure to flash your Duo I don't know, but you'll find, along with every other VU+s, here:

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/howto-flash-update-vu-images.11819/

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks but ive tried everything but a new drive now. Following google ive used the hp format tool, easeus partition to make a drive smaller, all on fat32 of course, tried all usb slots. I have those 5 files in a folder called duo inside a folder named vuplus. Theres only 1 drive in my machine at a time. Ive been at this for over an hour lol, ive seen that link you sent and am doing exactly what it says. My one drive has a light on it, it flashes like its accessing but still just loads up my normal blackhole image. Honestly. the only one i havent tried is a usb 3 drive i have and thats because i dont think duo has that ability. Thhink i'll have to go get another drive tomorrow. Ive tried 2 kingstons, a sandisk and one verbatim so theyre not unbranded ones, just dont work in any port on duo

PS i should mention ive used filezilla with my flash drive in the front and when i go into hdd it shows my usb stick with all the files in there, it just wont boot from it

Last edited:

nunigaia

Thanks but ive tried everything but a new drive now. Following google ive used the hp format tool, easeus partition to make a drive smaller, all on fat32 of course, tried all usb slots. I have those 5 files in a folder called duo inside a folder named vuplus. Theres only 1 drive in my machine at a time. Ive been at this for over an hour lol, ive seen that link you sent and am doing exactly what it says. My one drive has a light on it, it flashes like its accessing but still just loads up my normal blackhole image. Honestly. the only one i havent tried is a usb 3 drive i have and thats because i dont think duo has that ability. Thhink i'll have to go get another drive tomorrow. Ive tried 2 kingstons, a sandisk and one verbatim so theyre not unbranded ones, just dont work in any port on duo

PS i should mention ive used filezilla with my flash drive in the front and when i go into hdd it shows my usb stick with all the files in there, it just wont boot from it

1. You must remove all your USB devices attached to your STB. ( Tuners, HDD drives, etc ... )
  2. Power OFF on the back, and insert the Usb device ( pen drive ), that contains the image files.
  3. Follow then the flashing process.
best regards
nunigaia

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Bit further using my mrs microsd from her phone, didnt work on the front usb but did on the back, now just gotta reload channels from dreamboxedit and set up my dish again. Thanks for all the help

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
All sorted but one thing, nothings ever easy and obh has a few changes over bh. Ive got a disceq positioner. ive set this like the other one to simple disceq a/b amd setup 13e as port a as that was the one it was on when i flashed it. I can get those channels but when i go to positioner setup it says no tuner is configured for use with a disceq positioner. If i set port b to 19e tho all the channels go white whereas theyre black otherwise but when i try to go to one of them it says tune failed. Now i know i need to setup disceq again but how do i do that simple thing on obh? in bh it was so easy

AlexWilMac

OBH is not BH (fortunately, I add ;) ) otherwise it would make no sense to have identical image.
Ad, as every new operative systems you try, you need many days, if not weeks, to get acquainted with it. So, be patient!
Last thing: a USB3 flash (pen) drive can be surely recognized by a USB2 port. All users would be in troubles if not! The capability of being used as the stick to FLASH the VU+ is a completely different matter: that's why you are able to read and write its content.
Don't mix those two different aspects.