cross epg annoying problem

frank087234

Vu+ User
cross epg keeps reverting to internal flash

usb seems mounted, on device manager it is mounted, and it appears on configure option of cross epg, but once epg is downloaded only internal flash option available, and when check device manger it CRASH
is there fix for this?

a911

The BH Lover
cross epg keeps reverting to internal flash

usb seems mounted, on device manager it is mounted, and it appears on configure option of cross epg, but once epg is downloaded only internal flash option available, and when check device manger it CRASH
is there fix for this?

Save the epg data to >/media/hdd

screenshot.jpg

And U will have no problem!

frank087234

Vu+ User
r u saying i should use HDD and not usb as storage device?? will that solve problem of reverting to internal flash?? I try avoid using hdd as i do not want it running all time

Shiro

BH-C
format your usb stick again using blue -> blue -> black hole usb format wizard.
I suggest to use ext3 or ext4

Shiro

BH-C
r u saying i should use HDD and not usb as storage device?? will that solve problem of reverting to internal flash?? I try avoid using hdd as i do not want it running all time

This is not true.
Epg is loaded in ram. It use storage only to load epg at enigma2 start or to save epg after an epg dowanload.
So it is not relevant about hard disk running. Hdd goes in standby also if you set epg to hdd. It will wake up only when you download epg to save it and after saving will go in standby (based on your miutes settings).

As already explained: hdd is the BETTER place to store epg.

Matrix10

Administrator
format it to ext3 or fat32? or does it matter at all???

Ext3 is better if you have a stable mount with your USB stick
but if you do not have,you can try and use FAT32 for CrossEPG and picon
Fat32 you can not use for Multiboot/Meoboot and Universe.
It seems that VU drivers? first look for the presence of FAT USB stick
that perhaps provides more stable mount.
Of course this is just my guess from experience with these boxes (solo and duo)
Another option I have already described in earlier posts on the forum
and it is a combination of Linux/ext3 and FAT32 format on the same USB Stick.
(In this case, you can use multiboot on ext3 partition)
This applies to some USB sticks that do not have stable mount on solo and duo sets.
This problem I have not noted on Solo2 that works seamlessly with all Linux Formats.

frank087234

Vu+ User
thats the one i am having problems with i was thinking there may be an amended version, i read in another forum i may have to replace setup.py file

mickle026

Vu+ Newbie
This issue is present in several images, mount usb with fstab and symlink from /media

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk 2

Shiro

BH-C
All wrong.
You have only to format your usb in the right way.
There are not issues with crossepg and usb in Bh images. The problem are with your usb stick.

barabba

Vu+ Newbie
I am really confused as I am getting conflicting advice. Could someone just summerise their own experience ??
I tested 6 different pendrives prior to have a stable system.
2 months with many and continuous green screens called by crossEPG, OpenEPG and/or other process. 2 months testing different images, removing CrossEPG and other plugins, studying configurations...
I hated Solo2.
Finally I tested many pendrives and I fixed problem: it was only a "stupid" pendrive problem.
Maybe Solo2 has a "critical" compatibility with pendrives?
I don't know, now it's perfectly working, that's all.

Shiro

BH-C
I am really confused as I am getting conflicting advice. Could someone just summerise their own experience ??

There is only one opinion here that you have to follow.
1) The only issue can be your usb stick and you have to format it in ext3 inside black hole format wizard.
2) There is no reason to use usb stick to store epg. The best choice is hdd.

mickle026

Vu+ Newbie
Disagree, mine is fat system and works well.

However,ext3 is a definate compatability then I would go with that if you dont know what else to do.

Using fstab can be difficult for newbies.

The issue is more to do with how the usb is mounted and linked. I have had linux stbs now for many years. The only issue with filesystems is if the drivers is not in the kernel. Some kernels still omit ntfs-g and this is where you get problems with large volume fat usb drives.
The other issues are with the bus scan and /dev and therefore the registration of the device. ext3 is linux native and will always work if the automount of the image works. Ie vix images need the gui setting to automount.

Usb sticks under a certain size will be fine in fat, ie 1gb pens

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk 2

boyofford

Vu+ User
2) There is no reason to use usb stick to store epg. The best choice is hdd.
Why is it better to store epg on hdd rather than usb stick?
I've got a usb stick for picons anyway so put epg on there and works fine as far as I can see?

Shiro

BH-C
1) The linux native filesystem is ext and not fat or ntfs.
So every device using ext fs will always work better.
2) The enigma2 original project and concept is to save epg on hdd because it is more safe and secure than usb (usb often can have filesystem errors and this will cause epg to go in flash that can cause many issues).
The option to save epg in usb is only a recent addition in e2 history and is mainly for ppl that have not the hdd.
Everyone is free to choice what he prefers but if you ask what is better solution you have to understand what you are talking about.
So i repeat the best choice is hdd and the best fs in a vu+ box is ext3/ext4.
I think you should learn to understand better linux and enigma2.

boyofford

Vu+ User
1) (usb often can have filesystem errors and this will cause epg to go in flash that can cause many issues).
Well that's enough to convince me, just want to know details of why because I couldn't find a reason.
I've got a hard drive now so I'll move the epg over.
Thanks