Transponders - Satellites // VU Zero - VU Solo 2 question

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
Hello guys,
I have a VU zero for my bedroom and wanted to upgrade our living room receiver to the Solo 2.
Is there an advantage of the Solo2 over the Zero?

I would LIKE to occasionally record one thing and watch another, or see picture-in-picture on the TV... but don't know if that is always possible with the Solo 2 or if I have to have a special kind of LNB on my 1m Dish (I have a Technomate TM-1C Universal Single LNB).

Would I have to upgrade my dish to have PIP and record/play different channels?
If I don't upgrade, is there any advantage of the Solo2 over the Zero?

Thanks guys,
Mark.

Mick12334

You will need a twin LNB, or qaud, a Twin has two satellite outputs, a quad four.
You then run a second cable, from your dish, to your new Solo 2, and the second tuner, then once set up you can record 1 transponder, and view others, or record two separate transponders.
If you go for the Duo 2, and a quad LNB, you could have 4 DVB-S2 tuners, for multiple recordings, at the same time.

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Mick, thanks for the response... so if I do not want to change my dish, would there be any advantage of a Solo 2 over the Zero? They would both have openvix, so what else would justify spending almost double on a solo 2. The zero is fast enough...
Thanks...

gogglebox

Vu+ User
If you still have a single feed from your LNB, on a Solo 2 there is an option to enable loop through on the second tuner to match the first but I've found it doesn't work too well with the picture quality. It doesn't give you complete flexibility to watch and record two different transponders but it should give you a good starting point.

(Owner of a Solo 2 running latest BH image)

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
Hi guys, thanks for all the responses.
I have a vu zero in the living room, and don't want to run more cables etc... So would you say there isn't an advantage of buying a vu solo2 if I'm not going to get an extra lnb /cables?

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks gogglebox, yeah the HD potential is good, though I don't keep stuff, and if I have a box downstairs and one upstairs, I can record on memory stick on one and tale the memory stick to the other to playback... Which is possibly doable but some complex stream sharing thing, but not as no brainer as just swapping memory sticks. I wonder if the added memory males much difference, I don't have a need for many apps or plugins, use an android box for Kodi.

gogglebox

Vu+ User
There is a plugin called partner box so you wouldn't need to move memory sticks between boxes and allows you to view recordings from the other and set timers. Very nifty. I think the Solo2 is very good, especially with memory. I don't know what your configuration is but if you're updating the epg for example on a daily basis the extra memory goes a long way to protecting you from crashes on the box. Some plugins are useful admittedly. Having the extra HDD space is useful for things like the EPG and recordings if you suddenly find the need to record quite a bit.

In the end, we can only suggest things based on our own experiences, its down to you really. I have the Solo2 and really like it. It's a nice design, has good memory, has the ability to put in a hard drive for extra storage (which is always useful)... If you're really unsure about the two, talk to your local satellite shop and see what they suggest based on your needs and if you're still unsure grab a coffee or something think about it and go back once you have made a decision.

gogglebox

Vu+ User
I have a vu zero in the living room, and don't want to run more cables etc... So would you say there isn't an advantage of buying a vu solo2 if I'm not going to get an extra lnb /cables?

I have the same set up as you and it works just fine. As I said above it depends on your inividual needs and configuration. I don't know about the image you wish to use but BH has a Sat ip client as well, so can transmit satellite over your local network. You will need to do research into the equipment because I don't know much about it at all but if you don't want to put down more cables it's a useful way to go.

The only other thing I would say is, it's a useful thing to have the second tuner if you choose later to go down the route of adding everything in. This way you wouldn't have to replace the box a few years down the line. Only you know though what you plan to do but it's something to take into consideration.

el bandido

Vu+ User
No. I would suggest you keep what you have which I understand is two Vu+ Zeros. I have a Duo2 in the living room and a Zero in one bedroom. The Duo2 has a large hard drive where recordings and movies are stored. The Duo2 and the Zero are connected through a network which allows the Zero to access the Duo2 hard drive and to remotely use the Duo2. You can do the same or similar with the two Zero receivers using the partner box plugin. I do not see any real benefit for you at this time with a 2 tuner box. EB

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
Hi guys, thank you, you have been so helpful... I have 1 more question:

Is there a way of updating my customised folders of favourite channels (bouquets) without inadvertently creating new bouquets? I noticed autobouquet creates the same folder structure again, so all my customised favourite folders become cluttered with other folders.

Gogglebox, I'll ask about other plugins, ATM I have an error when I choose to download plugins. And have asked for help on that elsewhere ;)

Thanks, Mark

Mick12334

Use dreamboxedit, to FTP your recveivers channel list, then edit it, and upload the new channel list, back into your receiver.
You can also save the backed up channel list, for future use, and overwrite it any time.
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dreamboxedit.18975/

All you need to do is set up a new folder, on your PC desktop, called Settings, then enter your receiver IP address, by going into Tools, Options, and clicking save. You can even Test the IP connection.
Once done go to File and Fast FTP download.

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Mick,
I have used something called E-Channelizer which is very pretty software and I made simple folders just with the stuff I want... but when autobouquet runs, it messes up the folders and adds all it's own folders, so I have to delete them... but I want to have a way to update the channels with the correct channel info without my favourites being messed up... do you know if there is a way to do that?

Thanks,
Mark.

Mick12334

I shouldn't think so, if you continue to use Autobouquet, instead of just manually scanning in new channels, and moving them to your bouquets.

fredphoesh

Vu+ Newbie
I shouldn't think so, if you continue to use Autobouquet, instead of just manually scanning in new channels, and moving them to your bouquets.

Hi Mick,
Presumably I should then manually update my channels once a week or so... but then hopefully that will not create new folders like autobouquet does... I will give it a go. BTW I tried that dreamboxedit, very nice, does the same thing as E-channelizer.
Cheers,
Mark.