DUO SE 4k - 2 questions

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
so if a signal in H.264 4k (like nowdays UHD bluray 4k, i think) arrives to Duo 4k SE, can it record H.265 files ?
why is HDMI INPUT not good ? and only in 720p ? i will take integral2.

Last edited:

Ev0

Admin
so if a signal in H.264 4k (like nowdays UHD bluray 4k, i think) arrives to Duo 4k SE, can it record H.265 files ?
why is HDMI INPUT not good ? and only in 720p ? i will take integral2.
I have never tried to record H.265 files as I have no device to input an H.265 signal into it.

720p is the max the chipset allows afaik.

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
I have never tried to record H.265 files as I have no device to input an H.265 signal into it.

720p is the max the chipset allows afaik.

are you sure ? HDMI input can record max 720p ?
do you have a device to play H.264 files and user DUO 4k SE to record H.265 files ?

Ev0

Admin
are you sure ? HDMI input can record max 720p ?
do you have a device to play H.264 files and user DUO 4k SE to record H.265 files ?
It will not convert an H.264 file to H.265.

As above playback is totally different to recording.

It will let a 2160p signal play via HDMI in, but it will only record it as 720p

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
i know that play<>record, and i wrote my last phrases not in good english, sorry.
anyway, for me a recorder machine has to record anything that it sees in his input, and record it using one from his personal methods, so if a signal H.264 comes at HDMI input, than the recorder machine has to record in one of his codec implemented, for example H.265.
For example, now in Italy there is not H.265 into signal television, isn'it ? so, DUO 4k SE can't record nothing ???

PS. i don't want to convert files in the HDD from 264 to 265, but i hope that i can play a bluray disc outside (in other standalone reader) and via HDMI in i can record this bluray into H.265 files. With the same resolution, or at max of H.265 can do

Ev0

Admin
It is not a recorder though, has never been marketed or sold as one.

It has an HDMI in, so you can pass a device through it, it is just an added bonus that it can record.

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
is not marketed as a recorder ? so what is his main function ? multi tuner between Sat and DVB-T2 and DVB-C ?
and, recording from TV/SAT, which is the maximun resolution used ? 4k ? Full HD ? 720p ?

Ev0

Admin
It is a satellite receiver, it's main function is to show satellite / cable / dvb-t programs on your tv.

It records from sat / cable / terrestrial in whatever resolution is broadcast, from 480i - 2160p.

But the HDMI in only records at a max of 720p, what is so hard to understand ?

AlexWilMac

No, Piedepallido: you are confusing the word "recorder" with the word videograbber or videocapturer.
Of course they are recorder! They are PVR: personal video recorder!
But grabbing is a totally different thing: they simply need a different chipset to grab.
You can record from SAT or terrestrial anything you like and have it saved in .ts format as for every PVR in the market.
To grab video in a standard more defined you need a grabber and a computer. This VU+, as well as Ultimo4K, has this "bonus", as Ev0 says. And, considering that video grabbing is usually linked to old VHS or Hi8 or Digital8 cassettes we want to save in a digital format. I'd say 720 is even too much for them.

Quindi, per dirlo chiaramente in italiano, non confondere le due cose: sono anni che mi registro le trasmissioni con i miei VU+, in tutti i formati da essi supportati (ovviamente, il Duo2 non mi vede i canali 4K e quindi non me li registra; ma il Solo4K già lo fa).
Ma questo non c'entra nulla con l'acquisizione video. È più chiaro, adesso? ;)

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
It is a satellite receiver, it's main function is to show satellite / cable / dvb-t programs on your tv.

It records from sat / cable / terrestrial in whatever resolution is broadcast, from 480i - 2160p.

But the HDMI in only records at a max of 720p, what is so hard to understand ?

it's so strange/absurd for me... :(

AlexWilMac

No, it's not. They are two different functions. It's like having a car and it's.. just a car. But some cars have also a towbar and they become sort of little truck with a trailer. But it's not like having a real truck or a TIR ;) Because it's a car with something more, not specific for its main function. It won't never be a TIR!

No Enigma2 based recivers can stream from netflix in UHD.
This is because the widevine protocol used is only level 1 and to answer your next question ;) can it be upgraded? No
So recording from Netflix in UHD is also "No"

This not just for Vu+ this is for any Enigma2 based reciver. Only those you can boot into Android can stream netflix in UHD