Duo2 Boot up Issue

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,
Yes, it is a white light issue. Please bear with me.

Using BlackHole 2.1.7 and have bootloader CFE_V2. The box remains at splash screen and the white light shows. I have reflashed bootloader and image. Same result, sticks at splash screen. Read other threads and have tried the press power button on remote. Did not work. Other threads have said that cannot read from USB. I am able to detect my USB. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Mick12334

What exactly do you mean by Splash screen?
Did Black Hole 2.1.7 fully install?
Did you get to the part where you setup your picture, and WLAN/LAN connection?
What happens when you press the Menu button, do you get anything appear?

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi
Many Thanks for the reply Mick12334. To answer your queries.
The splash green is the boot up screen . Which says Blackhole. It remains there and does not go any further.
Yes.
No, as it stays at the boot up screen
Pressing power does nothing. Menu does not come up as it has not fully booted up. My TV Power button on the Duo2 remote switches
my tv off when pressed.

Hope this helps you to advise me further.

Mick12334

Can you please check your bootloader, it comes up at the beginning, when you switch the power on, using the rear switch, CFE v..
Ensure it states you are using the v2 version.

nunigaia

Hi
Many Thanks for the reply Mick12334. To answer your queries.
The splash green is the boot up screen . Which says Blackhole. It remains there and does not go any further.
Yes.
No, as it stays at the boot up screen
Pressing power does nothing. Menu does not come up as it has not fully booted up. My TV Power button on the Duo2 remote switches
my tv off when pressed.

Hope this helps you to advise me further.

Try to reflash the image with another USB Pen Drive ... starting from scratch ...
Format this pen as FAT32 ... put the files needed on the root of it.

Note: Better make a new download of the image you are trying to flash, and unpack it!

best regards
nunigaia

Mick12334

That is the correct bootloader.
Try what nunigaia suggests, download Black Hole again, after deleting the old vuplus folder, from your desktop, and Black Hole 2.1.7, from downloads, and try a new USB stick, formatted to FAT 32.

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi All,

Here's an update on my situ. I have tried nunigaia's suggestion (thanks for that) but still stopping at the Blackhole picture and going no further.
I have been in touch with world of satellite tech support chap, who has been very helpful. He suggested that I try an max 8 gig kingston USB (which I bought - only £4). Still did not work also suggested that I go back to the original vuplus image. I did this using "vuplus-image-vuduo2-20150723162136_usb". Same result as blackhole, stopped at and showed "Vu+ your smart Linux player", did not not go any further forward. Support chap then said to remove all cables and usb's connected, keeping only HDMI and power lead in. I did this and got the same result. He then suggested removing the tuner. I have done this and still does not boot to menu's.

The support chap is not sure what it could be at the moment (as I have said he has been very supportive), interestingly, my usb's are detected and at the moment I able to flash all the time. The white light I see, is not the issue as the support guy says it is normal and that I can see the messages on my stb lcd. So I seem to have a box which "is working" but not booting fully.

Any more Suggestions ?
Thanks

Mick12334

Can you please tell us exactly how far the receiver is loading the image.
I assume it formats, then load correctly, at which pooint you remove the USB stick as the receiver boots up, with the image loaded. How far does it then get?
Is it the same if you turn the receiver off, at the rear, and allow it to boot again?
It might be a faulty receiver, as you seem to be doing everything correctly, but without viewing, what you're doing, and what's happening, on boot up, it's impossible to say.
You could try accessing it, from your PC, to see what's loaded, but you will need to know your receivers IP Address, guess it, or use Dreambox Control Centre:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dcc-e2-v1-41.3147/
This can locate your VU+ Duo 2 IP Address, start up DCC, by unzipping the file and clicking on DCC_E2.exe
Click on the Switch/Hub option, then click on the Suchen option, under the Dreambox icon, and the Suche option, top left, of the pop up box.

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

The receiver loads showing the Black Hole introduction screen. The LCD shows first CFE_V2 and then double your expectations. I have attached two files showing this. It is the same when you turn the receiver off from the back and on again. When I put the network cable in the green and amber lights blink, so thats fine. Tried DCC but it can see the Duo2. Thats because I can not get to the menus to set it up after I flash the unit. When I flash the unit the process it goes through is:
Update-Press Power (I press power) ; Reading USB ; Programming ; Reading USB ; Programming ; Continue ; Flash Image ; Check USB ; Flashing (counts to 100); Formatting (counts to 100); Finished.
Also what I have noticed is that the unit keeps rebooting itself approximately every 5 mins. The duo2 lcd goes blank then shows cfe_v2 followed by "double your expectations".

Attachments

• Black_Hole_Screen.jpg
    Black_Hole_Screen.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Duo2_LCD.jpg
    Duo2_LCD.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 43

Mick12334

Strange, as it looks like everything is loaded, and working.
It could be a corrupted loading, of the bootloader, image, or faulty receiver.
Do you have an internal hard drive fitted? If so try disconnecting it, by removing the cables.
Also ensure you have nothing else connected, including the co-ax cable, from your satellite dish, just in case this is causing a short, just the mains power lead.
Now delete all files, from your PC, to do with the VU+ Duo 2, the bootloader and the vuplus folder.
Next download the VU+ Duo 2 bootloader, and install it, then try the latest official image, from vuplus:
Code:
http://archive.vuplus.com/download/cfe/duo2/v2/Duo2_CFE_V2.zip
Code:
http://code.vuplus.com/

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

I have done what has been requested (by Mick12334) Same result as before. FYI, I had only the power key connected I have no hardisk connected. I then also removed the tuner card from the box (as per suggesstion from WoS support); same result. WoS said try using a scart lead, which I did but I could not figure out where to look for it on my TV is it the Av's? In any case the Duo2 did not fully boot up.

Guys, any more suggestions please.

el bandido

Vu+ User
I would suggest connecting to the receiver's RS232 or serial port and reading the information from it while it is booting. You will need a null cable and a computer with a serial port or usb serial adapter to do this.
The information from the receiver's RS232 or serial port should tell us Exactly where or why it is stopping and may be the easiest way to fix it.

Mick12334

You wouldn't know, if it had booted up fully, without viewing it, on your television, as the receiver display would stay the same, but on the television you would have the generated user interface for setting up your television settings, internet connection, tuner configuration, and then the option to scan for channels.
Do you have any other equipment, with a satellite connection, DVD recorder/player, old VCR, etc?
If so, please connect your scart lead, to this, play a disk/tape, and scroll through your televisions, AV/input settings until you've got a picture, then remove the scart lead, from the DVD/VCR, and connect it to your VU+ Duo 2.
If you still get nothing I advise you contact World of Satellite, as you've done more than can be expected, arranging for a replacement.
It shouldn't be this difficult, to set up, as you will discover, when they replace this faulty receiver.
Please keep us updated, with your progress.

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

Many Thanks for your responses. Before I start and investigate further. Please could you explain how I connect the rs232 to my computer and read information from Vu+ Duo2. I have windows 7 and I have a non null cable F-F. There is a serial port on my computer. Which software should I use to view the information. and how would I set it up to view what the Duo2 is outputting.

Thanks

Mick12334

Hi,

Many Thanks for your responses. Before I start and investigate further. Please could you explain how I connect the rs232 to my computer and read information from Vu+ Duo2. I have windows 7 and I have a non null cable F-F. There is a serial port on my computer. Which software should I use to view the information. and how would I set it up to view what the Duo2 is outputting.

Thanks

I wouldn't advise doing this, epsecially as you only just got your receiver, if you can't see anything, using your scart lead, to complete the installation, then contact World of Satellite and ask for a replacement, as clearly something is wrong, and it's not your fault, or your job to try to repair it.

el bandido

Vu+ User
I have to at least pay shipping when I send any receiver back. Maybe you guys do not have that problem, but I try to fix things within reason before I pack a receiver up and send it back. Connecting to the RS232 and reading the data from it will not void a warranty. If you want to do this then do the following:

Go into the device manager and see what com port the serial connection has been assigned.
Download and install putty. (Putty can easily be found on the internet.)
Connect a null cable between the receiver and the computer.
Start Putty and select serial for connection type. Enter 115200 for the speed and enter the correct com port for your computer.
Turn the receiver OFF using the rear rocker switch.
Click Open on the putty screen, then turn the receiver ON using the rocker switch. You should see output from the receiver almost instantly if everything is connected and installed correctly.

qps

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,
Mick12334, many thanks for your concern. I'm sorry if I have not mentioned this before. I bought my Duo2 in March 2014. So my warranty is finished (bah humbug). I was hoping it would be 2 years as stated on their site. But I have been informed 2 year warranties were being given to buyers who bought after 1st of Jan 2015. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Mick12334

I have to at least pay shipping when I send any receiver back. Maybe you guys do not have that problem, but I try to fix things within reason before I pack a receiver up and send it back. Connecting to the RS232 and reading the data from it will not void a warranty.
In the UK we have statutory rights, if a receiver, or any goods, are faulty, and still within the guarantee, then it's up to the manufacturer to pay for shipping, and either repair the receiver, or replace it, you can ship it back, using provided labels, which you print off, which some companies prefer, and is available in the returns section, on their website.
I recently had a faulty V-Box II, from Germany, and the company had no returns policy, so I had to return it myself and get my credit card company to refund my money.