Playback stops during play of a program being recorded

suho

Vu+ Newbie
I have a Vu+ Duo with Blackhole 2.1.1 with an internal 500GB hdd and I'm a complete noob.

When I start watching a program that is currently being recorded via timer (not time-shift) it starts stuttering and interrupting at the exact point I started watching it. I'll get an onscreen message asking if I would like to stop watching the movie. I choose No, nothing happens and when I chosose Yes, it's still being recorded but with chunks missing.
Is there something I'm missing or is it simply not possible to record and watch at the same time?

I did do a google and found plenty of threads, but none with a proper answer or at least one, that I can understand.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as this feature is essential for me.

Last edited:

Mick12334

There shouldn't be a problem viewing a recording, while it's still recording, I think I've done it a few times, without any stuttering. Have you run a test, on your hard drive, using the Black Hole options?

suho

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for your reply.
It's not an actual stuttering (I explained things badly) , but the hdd stops recording at the point I start to watch, although the red rec light on the front is still on and the timer still active. It will resume recording as soon as I stop watching an I end up with a recording with chunks missing.

I will perform the suggested hdd test and double check if it has the same promblem with the default firmware.

Mick12334

How do you access the recording? Do you press the playlist button, followed by the OK button, or the play button arrow?
Does this happen only on timer recordings or also when you press the red record button and add recording?
It sounds more like you're somehow pausing the recording, then resuming recording, rather than stopping the recording, then starting to record again.

suho

Vu+ Newbie
I go to the menu where the recordings are listed, choose it and press ok.

I'll experiment around a little. I use a harmony remote and double-check as well, that this isn't sending out a wrong signal. I'll report back.

suho

Vu+ Newbie
Ok, it's not the remote. I'm still in the experimental phase and I'm struggling to recreate the problem. I happened again this morning, but not afterwards.

But if I delete an active timer (ie one that's recording) it will freeze the picture of the channel that is currently on, but I'm not sure if this connected or normal behaviour.

suho

Vu+ Newbie
Well, I tried and tried, but I cannot replicate the problem. As soon as I figure out what caused it, I will report just in case someone else has the same problem.

suho

Vu+ Newbie
So it did it again. I started watching a program that was 10 minutes into recording and fast forwarded past the first minute to skip a preview.
At the exact point of the recording (@10 minutes) that I started fast forwarding the stutters started. They were that bad, that playback stopped. When I started watching the same recording again, not only did it stutter at 10 minutes, but also at the point where the recording was at when I stopped viewing and continued.

Is this fixable for me or not? Because I still have a couple of days where I can send the box back.

Mick12334

Do you mean stuttering, or as in your previous reply do you mean pausing, of the recording, then starting again?
What make/model is this 500GB hard drive?
Most people use a larger drive.
Have you checked the drive itself, for problems, using the black hole tools?
Are you actually using the timer or just pressing the red record button and selecting an option?

suho

Vu+ Newbie
It's a recording via the timer function.
Stuttering with loads of frozen pixels (the sound continues) and then stuttering along a little and freezing again. As if it's raining a lot or very heavy cloud cover. But I presume because the picture is kind of frozen the stb "thinks" the film has finished and shows the pop up of whether I want to stop playback y/n.
I did do a HDD test (filesystem check) with black hole and it said it was fine.
The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda ST500dm002 (6 Gb/s, 16Mb, 7200rpm) and I bought it together with the receiver.
I have currently two one hour recordings on it, so I don't think I'm getting low on disk space.
Both box and HDD are just over a week old.
What I can't figure out is, that I did all that with a different recording a couple of days ago (also via timer) and I had zero problems.

Mick12334

I have just bought a Seagate Barracuda, 2TB, hard drive, it was on special offer, and I'm having to return it, due to problems, it just doesn't work correctly, in my PC, strangely the same hard drive, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda, manufactured in 2012, works perfectly, but this one made in 2014 has caused me no ends of problems, and I've wasted 3 days on trying to get it to work.
This could be your problem.
I would contact your supplier, explain the problem, and see what advice they have, if it is due to bad sectors, on the hard drive, it could explain your problems. Equally it could be your receiver, at fault, with the tuner over heating, or other problem.
When this happens you mght want to check the receivers system information, using the black hole options, I think you press the blue button, followed by the yellow button.

suho

Vu+ Newbie
I have been suspecting the HDD, as the problem is too intermittent and it happens with sd and hd programs. Also as the stuttering was happening I felt the back of the stb and it didn't feel particularly warm, never mind hot. Fan control is on auto. I'm currently test watching another timed recording with fast forwarding, pausing etc and so far not a hiccup. I did previously re-initialise the HDD for good measure.
I will have a go at putting another hdd in.

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
I just add some extra information regarding the recording issues which happended on my DUO2. Just a few weeks ago, my receiver shows problem when it is recording. The problem is the receiver frozen when I change channel for serveral times during the recording. It never happended before BH2.1.1. I cannot locat what causes the problem.The problem is still there (may be one of the plugin, software corrupted, .....). If I do not change the channel (no matter which one either the recorded channel or the channel from another tuner) there is no problem I am watch and recording in the same time. I have heard 3-4 issues reported related to the recording since BH 2.1.1. It would be very appreciated if any one could offer some simple testing method to locate the problem. (It is not the good time for me to reflash the image now, but I will do it soon or later).

suho

Vu+ Newbie
...aaand I sent the box and hdd in. They replaced the hdd (unfortunately it's another Seagate Barracuda, but I bought it with the box, so I'm at their mercy) and the problem is back.
I can't put another hdd in without disturbing the seller's security seal.

Mick12334

Contact your supplier and tell them that the problem still persists, ask them if they checked the hard drive, and receiver, before shipping it back to you.

suho

Vu+ Newbie
I'm strongly suspecting that a faulty LNB is the culprit. It's a long and complicated story and I'm not tech savvy enough to explain it properly, but I did have to replace my old Topfield because I would not get a picture on tuner B when tuner A was recording.
Now with the Duo I I get a stuttery picture on tuner 2 when tuner 1 is recording. So I'm concluding that somehow when I record a program on tuner 2 and I then turn on the tv and stb and it switches to tuner 1 (because it's recording on 2) the recording starts getting a bit iffy, and because I immediately go to watch the recording I presumed that the actual fact of me starting to watch the recording was the problem, not the fact that now the LNB had to provide a signal to two tuners. Does this make sense?
I have bought a new LNB and tried it hooked up to our camping sat dish and didn't get a problem at all. Full signal strength on both tuners at the same time. But I won't be able to get my current system fixed for another couple of weeks, but once I do, I'll update the status, just in case someone should have the same problem.

Oh, and I tried the new LNB with the "faulty" Topfield as well and no problem switching tuners or getting a signal.

Mick12334

Have you tried disconnecting tuner 2, and changing it to None, in the menu, then recording, to see if it works normally?
If you have now narrowed down the problem to your connection, it could also be a loose connection, damaged/faulty cable, especially due to water ingress, or as you state a faulty LNB.
You might want to check all the cabling, and connectors, as you are planning on changing the LNB, just to be certain.

mysat-bs

Vu+ User
Hi, @suho, Thanks for your in formation. Do you use two single tuners or One twin tuner? In my case, I have 3 LNB and One single tuner and One twin tuner. No matter which chanel or which tuner, whenever the recording is in process, I cannot change to another chanel ( once may be oky, but not more than couple of times), otherwise, the receiver will be frozen.

Erik_Ste

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, I have the same issue on my Vu+ Solo2 with Blackhole 2.1.1. and 1TB HDD (WD SCORPIO BLUE 1TB SATA/600 8MB cache).
Recording stops when I start watching a program that is currently being recorded.
Recorded file is visible in recording list with full (correct) duration, but I can play this file only until I have started recording.