Duo / DuoLE Vu-duo is Dead

paolino

Vu+ User+++
hello
my box vu+ duo has the same problem since 4 days
I searched the C807 220uF 16v, the 16v 330uF, 330uF 25v the trace of these parts in the areas I looked at 3/4 stores
I found that the 50v 220uF, I hesitate to install
So I ask your opinion if I can or not to replace it?

thank you
-----------------------
mon VU+ duo a le même problème depuis 4 jours
j'ai cherché le C807 220uF 16v, le 330uF 16v, le 330uF 25v aucune trace de ces pièces dans la regions j'ai cherché chez 3 / 4 magasins
je n'ai trouvé que le 220uF 50v, j'hesite à l'installer
je demande donc votre avis si je peux ou non le remplacer ?

merci

More volts, longer life. It's better 50v then 16v. Install it. ;)

Jules

Vu+ Newbie
Found this posted on another forum for those that can't fix their 'red led only problem'
just replace C807 220uF 16v with a new one or with 330uF 16v on the motherboard
Haven't tried this myself yet but will tomorrow.
Thanks for the info about the cap. I had the same red light problem, found this posting and it worked for me too. Thanks a million!!!

Itsfun

Vu+ Newbie
Thx M8 ,
I can confirm it working here as well :)
Have just replaced the same CAP on of mine Duo with the same symptom , and Voila , it starts anb boot perfectly !

Yes i can confirm it to :) Have just replaced the same CAP on of mine Duo with the same symptom and its booting fine :thanks:

cfield1

Vu+ Newbie
hi guys, IM having a problem with my vu+duo, I updated my bootloader stupidly with the Duo2 software now all my box is doing is staying on a red light, iv tried powering up with the usb stick in, as well as out. tried powering it off for 30 mins. various different things. But still No luck...If I could only restart it once than I could update the bootloader with the proper software...any help would be greatly appreciated Guys & Girls

The box is a vu+duo
bh image 2.0.5

Jotne

Vu+ Newbie
I have replaced my C807 with a 25V 330uf.
It was not needed, but I did it just in case it fails.
Have see two or three time it had some problem to boot.

matthieum

Vu+ Newbie
Yes i can confirm it to :) Have just replaced the same CAP on of mine Duo with the same symptom and its booting fine :thanks:

My Vu+Duo also packed up this morning. I saw this post at lunch time and replaced C807 with 220uF 25V alternative tonight. The change worked first time round with the Vu+ Duo booting straight away.

Thanks to all of you who shared details about the fix.

guybrush

Vu+ Newbie
Now I'm scared ;-)
First of all thanks for the amazing information on this post.
But unfortunatelly now I'm scared and I'm at the office so I can't check the symptoms of my beloved vu+duo.
yesterday after 2 hours of tv watching recorded tv when I just tried to see regular sat TV the screen frozen and went black.
after switching it off and on it refuses to start. I let it to cool down the hole night (about 6 hours but it doesn't start).
this has happend before but with a 10 minutes cool down period It works again.

This afternoon I'm going to open the box and check how C807 looks. I also try to find a null modem(I might have one somwere at home) and see If I have any info on the rs232 but I doubt it.
I have checked that I bought the box on Mach 2011 so it might be cover by warranty but I doubt it.

It looks to me that the issue is C807 hopefully the regulators are not affected. but I'm scared because of the "if you fix it in time" I think the box has been warning me for a while now. so ... I'm not very optimistic.
I would like to mention that for those 2 years, the box have been always powered on. (on standby mode or actually working)
it records programs on daily basis and I do use it at least a couple hours a day. so You could say it has had a hard time.

Many times I have thought that it was overheating. so if I'll manage to fix it I will look for some cooling solutions for the box. I think there is a design fault on terms of heat.

Any way I'll keep you posted on how the story ends.

As said, thaks for the incredible amount of info and I promiss to tell you how my story ends.

guybrush

Vu+ Newbie
Guy, I love you. my VU+DUO is working as fine as brand new.
basically the solution was replace the three capacitators by 330uf 25V 105º (that's what I could get from my electronics shop)
I built a new nullmodem just to make sure that nothing was coming out on the rs232.
then I went directly to remplace the 3 capacitators. might be only one was damaged, but I did all three.

I tryed to un-solder them from the mainboard but I don't know what the hell the vu guys have used my tools were not able to melt(undo) the soldering.
so I apply a workarround. carefully cut the legs of the capacitators and solder the new ones on top of thos remaining legs.
it's fairly easy and it cost me 40c per capacitator.

The support here in spain asked me 110€ for a brand new main board 70€ if they can keep the old one. (it's not that expensive)
but is like a armed robbery if you think I did it for 1,20€. this guys need to think a bit more about their customers.Even more when it looks like a lack on design. bigger capacitators and bigger fans I suspect would have prevented this from happening.

In the following weeks I will upload some pictures and the rs232 log output just in case someone whant to have a look but I need to read thos first to remove any password or sensible info ;-)

The simptoms were:
Red light.
No fan.
Nothing on the rs232
not booting from usb either.

Although everything has been said about this issue, I'm posting this first to thank all the guys that posted the info.
and just in case it might help any other user.

Thank you guys from truly deep in my heart.
Guybrush.

By the way a bit oftopic, is there any mod to add some fans or improve airflow on the box.

Sh500

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

I just signed up here to share my situation with the 'red light' problem.

So reading through this tread, I was glad to see that the fix for the majority of users was a simply change of the capacitor. So I changed the capacitor to a 220uF 50V one. Unfortunately this fix did NOT work for me.

So I figured it has to be the power supply. Luckily I know someone else with an identical box. So I swapped the PSU and yes it started working instantly. Will have to buy a new PSU.

I hope this information is of use to at least a minority where the capacitor replacement did not work.

biscamax

BH Lover
This week I had the same problem, I changed C807 by a 330µF 25V and everything is ok now. Thanks to all, great community we have here! :)

rimme

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, i had same problem with the red led and C807 capacitor, now it starts again.

But now i don't have a sat signal anymore on both tuners.
Sat installation is ok (tested with vu solo2)
Tuner settings also ok.
Already tried new image (software).
I normally receive astra1 and astra3.
If i look in vu menu satfinder, i have a lock on astra3, with normal (good) signal.
Astra 1 signal is 0.
All channels i checked don't have signal as well astra 1 and 3 .

Anybody can help me?

rimme

Vu+ Newbie
I searched for channels today. On astra 3 it can find 47 channels, all DVB-S no DVB-S2.
Like das erste (10.4 db), 13th street (12.5db)

With other receiver still everything works, so no bad setup.