Solo2 Transcoding still poor quality

Max

BH Lover
Next time I'll wait before my purchase...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
Damn, that is extremely disappointing. The main reason for me purchasing the Solo2 was because of the (so called) transcoding capabilities. So the hardware that performs the decoding cannot be manipulated in any way to help with decoding??? Blast.

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
is it somehow possible to contact Vu+ and get a definitive answer? I would have stuck with my Amiko Alien II receiver for longer had I known the transcoding on the Solo2 was so utterly useless.

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
this, perhaps
atsign replaced with "at", links you know....

-"If you have any inquiry regarding Vu+ products, please send an email with the address below.
  • Sales: sales at vuplus.com
  • Suggestion or bug report: support at vuplus.com"

crabber

Vu+ Newbie
I have pre-ordered a Duo 2 specifically because my solo 2 is unable to transcode at a slower rate than 500 kbps. This is very important to me as I spend a few months abroad each year and would love to stream live TV regardless of the poor resolution. (caused by my slow upload)
I have been promised a test of streaming from a Duo 2 beta tester who has a box, but he has been too busy as yet. I will post my opinion of it as soon as I can.
Meanwhile could I ask a couple more questions, why can software in the solo 2 transcode at 500 kbps but not at any other speed? To my layman's brain it would seem reasonable to assume that the plugin could be written to work at say 400 kbps, or indeed faster?
Secondly could Max please explain more about what is not working from his post above?

Max

BH Lover
@crabber

see my post #29 on this thread about bad transcoding if it involves framerate changes.
Duo2 actually can't transcode at 25 or 50 fps.... for all EU happiness...
Also... I hope some Duo2 owner will confirm that finally is possible to transcode recorded programs and streams coming from external USB tuners, otherwise this feature is near to be useless, just like for Solo2.
I'm really disappointed on what heppened to Solo2, the main reason I bought mine.
In early-beta stage up to february, then experimental feature, then in debug and now abandoned due to changes in hardware design. Transcode in Solo2 (like blindscan) never worked as advertized....
Tomorrow I'll write a very hard email about it to vuplus. I trusted Vu in the last two years, but when the marketing starts promising something that will be never true... it's time to change brand...

Dasizzle

Vu+ Newbie
Is it possible to stream on transcoded port 8002 on the pc ? vlc player just hang forever when i try open the m3u file. 8001 works, but lacks due to low upload speed (2Mbit).
forwarded both 8001 and 8002. and it seems to work fine on my android phone.

VANT

Vu+ User
I have pre-ordered a Duo 2 specifically because my solo 2 is unable to transcode at a slower rate than 500 kbps. This is very important to me as I spend a few months abroad each year and would love to stream live TV regardless of the poor resolution. (caused by my slow upload)
I have been promised a test of streaming from a Duo 2 beta tester who has a box, but he has been too busy as yet. I will post my opinion of it as soon as I can.
Meanwhile could I ask a couple more questions, why can software in the solo 2 transcode at 500 kbps but not at any other speed? To my layman's brain it would seem reasonable to assume that the plugin could be written to work at say 400 kbps, or indeed faster?
Secondly could Max please explain more about what is not working from his post above?
now solo2 transcode with bitrate 400kbit/s (as we see bitrate is adjustable by code http://code.vuplus.com/gitweb/?p=vuplus_dvbapp;a=commit;h=dd5ad7eeb3e3cbde9eedc8c77c4a1fbbd7084f0f)

boyofford

Vu+ User
Is it possible to stream on transcoded port 8002 on the pc ? vlc player just hang forever when i try open the m3u file. 8001 works, but lacks due to low upload speed (2Mbit).
forwarded both 8001 and 8002. and it seems to work fine on my android phone.

Yes, but not using vlc, I've used xbmc on port 8002 on lan, assume can use over wan. Think there are other softwares that can do to.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Pedro C

Vu+ User
Had to revert to previous drivers. The latest ones embedded in rev.B probably have some sort of deinterlacing issues namely on scrolling tickers on most news channels. Anyone noticed it too ???

Max

BH Lover
@VANT
Not yet sure about it... I changed the default value to 900000 to optimize stream on my 1Mbps upload speed but nothing changed... same BAD QUALITY transcode.

@Pedro: nothing strange here with scrolling titles both on SD and HD.

@crabber: I'd like to add some questions about transcode feature to Duo2 owners:
Can Duo2 transcode external tuners ?
Can transcode recorded events ?
If both answers are no, there is no reason to buy Duo2 for me.
Maybe I'll wait some time and then I'll change brand. I hate false promises just to move market...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

Pedro C

Vu+ User
@VANT
Not yet sure about it... I changed the default value to 900000 to optimize stream on my 1Mbps upload speed but nothing changed... same BAD QUALITY transcode.

@Pedro: nothing strange here with scrolling titles both on SD and HD

reinstalled latest drivers after reading your answer and it's fine now. Go figure :victory:

shkrapas

Vu+ Newbie
i upgraded to 2.05 rev b but i didn't saw difference in transcoding plugin quality and kbps options.
anyone that had noticed difference in quality picture of transcoded channels?